Housing element of UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing element of UC

Options
bethany7811
bethany7811 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hi

So I am moving in with my partner next month, I am currently on LCWRA, PIP & UC. I have used a benefits calculator & it said that I will get the housing element of UC when we move in together. I looked up what this meant & it said that we can only get the housing element if I am reliable for paying the rent. On our tenancy agreement my partner will be the one that is put down for paying rent etc because he works full time, my name will still be on the tenancy agreement but I won’t be ‘reliable’ for paying the rent even though I will still be paying my half. Does this mean I can’t get the housing element of UC or will I still get it with my name on the tenancy agreement? 

Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you move in with your partner you will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them you're living with your partner. You will then be sent a linking code.

Your partner will then need to make a claim for UC their self. They will then need to use the linking code to join both claims together.

Your UC will then be based on your joint circumstances. You will have the work allowance, which means a certain amount of earnings received each month will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply. As you'll be claiming for help with the rent your work allowance will be £379/month. Earnings above this will reduce your whole UC and not just part of it.

You will still be entitled to the housing element, LCWRA element and couples standard allowance and any other element you're entitled to.

If your PIP includes the daily living part and your partner cares for you for at least 35 hours per week then can claim carers element. Earnings limit does not apply to carers element like it does for carers allowance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bethany7811
    Options
    When you move in with your partner you will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them you're living with your partner. You will then be sent a linking code.

Your partner will then need to make a claim for UC their self. They will then need to use the linking code to join both claims together.

Your UC will then be based on your joint circumstances. You will have the work allowance, which means a certain amount of earnings received each month will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply. As you'll be claiming for help with the rent your work allowance will be £379/month. Earnings above this will reduce your whole UC and not just part of it.

You will still be entitled to the housing element, LCWRA element and couples standard allowance and any other element you're entitled to.

If your PIP includes the daily living part and your partner cares for you for at least 35 hours per week then can claim carers element. Earnings limit does not apply to carers element like it does for carers allowance.
    Thank you so much, so would my name have to be on the tenancy agreement to be able to get the housing element or does it not matter since we are making a joint claim?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn't matter because you'll be claiming as a couple anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bethany7811
    Options
    It doesn't matter because you'll be claiming as a couple anyway.
    Great thank you so much for your help

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.