If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone with bad knee and applied for PIP please?

Options
Superbetty
Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
Hello everyone, I am new here. I am reading posts about PIP, but most of them are related to mental health, it is hard for me to find someone with similar problem. I have a bad knee, started in December last year, and got to the point that I had to ring sick to work and I am off sick since then. It is not getting better at all, I am still in process of begging for MRI scan. I applied for PIP and sent back form today, just wondering, if anyone with bad knee or similar problem can share their experience, please?I just can see myself at the assesment, when they are asking me to walk for 50 metres, gosh.If anyone had any experience, or any advice for me, please let me know. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, what they look at it how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP acitivities. As we are all affected differently by these conditions you can't really compare yourself to someone else.

Most people have assessments which are mostly by telephone, some are video or face to face. Once an appointment becomes available you will be contacted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Superbetty
    Options
    Hi Poppy, thank you for the reply, I read a lot about PIP before I posted here, so I know everything you wrote in your post. Still, would be nice to hear from someone with similar problem, hopefully there will be someone who will reply:-)
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hi Poppy, thank you for the reply, I read a lot about PIP before I posted here, so I know everything you wrote in your post. Still, would be nice to hear from someone with similar problem, hopefully there will be someone who will reply:-)
    Your PIP application is personal to you because the problems you might be having with your knee doing the 12 PIP activities reliably might be completely different to others who have the same problem as you. So you need to explain in detail on your PIP2 Questionnaire form why you cannot complete the 12 PIP activities Reliably https://pipinfo.net/issues/reliably for the majority of days.
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • Superbetty
    Options
    Thank you, I am waititng more for replies of people with mobility problems, and I am curious about their experience with assesment itself. Thank you for the info though:-)
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I have physical conditions which affect my mobility but my health conditions are completely different to yours so my experience isn't going to help you. I think you're completely missing the point we are trying to make here.
    Rather than rely on other peoples experiences have a read of this because having some knowledge of what PIP is about and what the descriptors mean is the first step. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Rainbow116
    Rainbow116 Community member Posts: 129 Courageous
    Options
    I need a full knee replacement, other leg an operation to help that knee, I suffer with PTSD anxiety from past dv and I’ve just been refused pip.  Need to appeal it but just feels overwhelming at the moment.  Every case is individual and no one’s experience will be the same.  But yes I suffer with mobility problems 
  • Superbetty
    Options
    I need a full knee replacement, other leg an operation to help that knee, I suffer with PTSD anxiety from past dv and I’ve just been refused pip.  Need to appeal it but just feels overwhelming at the moment.  Every case is individual and no one’s experience will be the same.  But yes I suffer with mobility problems 
    I am so sorry to hear that. I know you must feel exhausted. I had similar situation with my partner, he has depression, and whole process was so hard, after getting refusal, I said let's not appeal, it is not worth it...Now I wish we would! Hopefully you will find a strength to appeal, all the best and good luck:-)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you feel able to maybe re-apply @Superbetty:)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Rainbow116
    Rainbow116 Community member Posts: 129 Courageous
    Options
    Good luck if you do re-apply @Superbetty

I’m starting my MR appeal today .. wish me luck it’s just feels absolutely like mission impossible.. I scored 6 daily and 4 for mobility …. 
  • PWM1
    PWM1 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am new here. I am reading posts about PIP, but most of them are related to mental health, it is hard for me to find someone with similar problem. I have a bad knee, started in December last year, and got to the point that I had to ring sick to work and I am off sick since then. It is not getting better at all, I am still in process of begging for MRI scan. I applied for PIP and sent back form today, just wondering, if anyone with bad knee or similar problem can share their experience, please?I just can see myself at the assesment, when they are asking me to walk for 50 metres, gosh.If anyone had any experience, or any advice for me, please let me know. Thank you.

• Superbetty
    Options
    Do you feel able to maybe re-apply @Superbetty:)
    Hi, you must misunderstood me, I have just applied, sent form back, waiting for decision about assesement:-)
  • Superbetty
    Options

I’m starting my MR appeal today .. wish me luck it’s just feels absolutely like mission impossible.. I scored 6 daily and 4 for mobility …. 

Ha ha, I am still waititng for an assesement, I don't know why all of you thinking I need to re-apply:-) Hopefully I won't have to:-) All the best to you and fingers crossed for your appeal, I can imagine how stressful it is for you. Keep us updated:-)
  • PWM1
    Options
    Hi Superbetty,

As others have said, you can not compare your illness, disability or ailments with others. 

The PIP system does not work like that. You may not even get an assessment for a bad knee. 

Here is fact, I suffer from COPD, Emphysema, liver issues, abdominal issues, this in turn has caused me to become depressed and anxious. 

I have been refused PIP , I sent them medical records thicker than a Bible including the Old Testament.

I am taking so many medications my prescription is classed as a batch. Sure I am in the process of a tribunal and will never give up. PIP is not a lottery, if they consider you have lost two arms and one leg, they see you as being 25% capable . 

Sorry to bring this honest news to you, but it's very realistic .

Paul.       
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PWM1 said:

I have been refused PIP , I sent them medical records thicker than a Bible including the Old Testament.

Less is often more when it comes to evidence. Sending multiple pieces of evidence all saying the same thing isn't helpful.

As you're now at Tribunal stage if you haven't already sent some real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies then you should do that.
    Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

Are you planning to either appear in person or have a telephone/video hearing? Either of those will give you about a 73% success rate. Paper based hearings have a much low success rate of about 5-8%.
  • Superbetty
    Options
    PWM1 said:
    Hi Superbetty,

As others have said, you can not compare your illness, disability or ailments with others. 

The PIP system does not work like that. You may not even get an assessment for a bad knee. 

Here is fact, I suffer from COPD, Emphysema, liver issues, abdominal issues, this in turn has caused me to become depressed and anxious. 

I am taking so many medications my prescription is classed as a batch. Sure I am in the process of a tribunal and will never give up. PIP is not a lottery, if they consider you have lost two arms and one leg, they see you as being 25% capable . 

Paul.       
    Hi Paul, don't worry, I read quite a lot about it, so I am ready for everything. And as you just said, it is not about illness, which I obviously know, so it does not matter if it is a bad knee, as long as I will meet their requirements, and as for mobility part, in my opinion, I do. I am absolutely fine with the rest.
    I know it is very hard and stressful process, but reading posts here actually give me hope that you can get it, as many people appealing and they winning, which I am very happy to hear. I am always happy for everyone.
    As for bad knee, I meant experience people who were mainly concerned with mobility part, just like I do, as I noticed most of posts are about mental health, that is all. I really don't want to repeat myself that I know everyone is different, but that is what we do here, we share our experiences?
    If I applied for PIP and had assesement, I would gladly share it with everyone here, and I probably will, if it comes to it, as I know how stressful it is for everyone.
    I am so sorry for your eperience with PIP, I read posts here and I feel so sorry for all of you, going through really bad things, sometimes it is just unbelievable. I wish you good luck with tribunal, take care:-)
  • PWM1
    Options
    PWM1 said:
    Hi Superbetty,

Paul.       
    Hi Paul, don't worry, I read quite a lot about it, so I am ready for everything. And as you just said, it is not about illness, which I obviously know, so it does not matter if it is a bad knee, as long as I will meet their requirements, and as for mobility part, in my opinion, I do. I am absolutely fine with the rest.
    I know it is very hard and stressful process, but reading posts here actually give me hope that you can get it, as many people appealing and they winning, which I am very happy to hear. I am always happy for everyone.
    As for bad knee, I meant experience people who were mainly concerned with mobility part, just like I do, as I noticed most of posts are about mental health, that is all. I really don't want to repeat myself that I know everyone is different, but that is what we do here, we share our experiences?
    If I applied for PIP and had assesement, I would gladly share it with everyone here, and I probably will, if it comes to it, as I know how stressful it is for everyone.
    I am so sorry for your eperience with PIP, I read posts here and I feel so sorry for all of you, going through really bad things, sometimes it is just unbelievable. I wish you good luck with tribunal, take care:-)
    PWM1 said:

Less is often more when it comes to evidence. Sending multiple pieces of evidence all saying the same thing isn't helpful.

As you're now at Tribunal stage if you haven't already sent some real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies then you should do that.
    Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

Are you planning to either appear in person or have a telephone/video hearing? Either of those will give you about a 73% success rate. Paper based hearings have a much low success rate of about 5-8%.
    PWM1 said:

• PWM1
    Options
    PWM1 said:
    Hi Superbetty,

Paul.       

• PWM1
    Options
    Hi Superbetty,

I said that I was refused PIP, that statement is actually incorrect , they awarded me the standard rate of the mobility allowance. Then scored me just six points for daily living allowance .

I can not stand for more than a few minutes, walk more than 20 metres and can not do anything physical including bathing, get dressed or undressed, cooking etc. My wife literally helps me with everything. 
    My breathing is like Darth Vader lol. 
    Even my work coach cancelled all face to face meetings and was calling me instead knowing how ill I was. PIP are unreal.    

I wanted a face to face medical assessor but they called me instead, I was issued a so called medical professional that did not know an aspirin from a daffodil.

I have zero doubt that I will win the tribunal case. 

Have a great day

Paul.    
  • Superbetty
    Options
    PWM1 said:
    Hi Superbetty,

I said that I was refused PIP, that statement is actually incorrect , they awarded me the standard rate of the mobility allowance. Then scored me just six points for daily living allowance .

I can not stand for more than a few minutes, walk more than 20 metres and can not do anything physical including bathing, get dressed or undressed, cooking etc. My wife literally helps me with everything. 
    My breathing is like Darth Vader lol. 
    Even my work coach cancelled all face to face meetings and was calling me instead knowing how ill I was. PIP are unreal.    

I wanted a face to face medical assessor but they called me instead, I was issued a so called medical professional that did not know an aspirin from a daffodil.

I have zero doubt that I will win the tribunal case. 

Have a great day

Paul.    
    I am so sorry to hear all that! And I am glad you believe you will win the tribunal case, I really do. I am quite positive person, I always like to think things will go well, and if they won't, I will have time to worry after, not upfront:-) It does all sounds unreal.
    Again, all the best and please keep me updated. I cannot describe how sorry I feel for everyone here. Take care.
  • Superbetty
    Options
    tomm said:

I have Stage 4 (severe ) O/A in 1 knee and moderate O/A  changes in the other, as well as  in 1 foot, I was at first refused PIP @ tribunal  in part because i had no specialist input  and the  prescribed pain relief was not consistent , with what i was claiming in  how it affected my  mobility, where the FTT statement of reasons ,

2nd attempt, this time with  a report from an orthopaedic surgeon and strong  pain relief script , and a better description of how the OA changed to my joints affected  my daily life , stuff like how i managed the shopping , get to the GP etc  and how far i can walk and how long i can bare weight  on my legs before having to sit down due to the pain , which still resulted in a Tribunal, but  i got some success  Standard  mobility  for 4 yrs 2 of which had  more or less already elapsed since i made the claim,,

Re applied Updated x ray reports showed a deterioration of the knee with moderate changes and  of the foot , plus most of the previous info  as it still was relevant , phone assessment  decision 0 points , MR  still 0 points  started appeal process saying i  meet the moving around descriptor 2, E,  after around 6-7 weeks DWP DM phoned me  offering my ER-Mobility for 6 yrs ,
    Thank you for sharing this, I am so sorry you have to go through all this, it is unbelievable.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.