If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice of informing employer of disability

Options
csdodds74
csdodds74 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there! 

I’m new to this forum, hello to you all and thanks for the opportunity to look for advice and chat. 

In March last year I was knocked off my bike by a vehicle and sustained serious injuries to my right knee and left ankle. 

I’ve had surgery to my knee but still awaiting surgery to my ankle.  My ankle is extremely painful and mobility is very limited.  My GP has deemed me as having a disability and I have been awarded PIP. 

My employers are not supportive at all, however I have been advised to inform them of my disability. Can anyone give any help or advice in what to write in my letter.  I’m fearful they will try and get rid of me due to capabilities.  I am a high performer and never any problems with my work, been employed for 3 years.

thank you so much! 
Claire 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,326 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @csdodds74 sorry to read about your accident and how that has had an impact on you. 
    Are you at work or off work? 
    If you are off and putting sick notes in then that should trigger a occupational  health assessment within your work place.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hello @csdodds74

Welcome to the community! :)

I'm so sorry about your accident, and that you have been through so much with surgeries. Can I ask, do you have a good support circle around you?

Are you better at writing a letter or talking in person? If you feel you would prefer something face to face, you can mention in the letter that you'd be willing to have a face to face meeting. You could also ask someone to accompany you if you are part of a union. Your union may be able to help with writing the letter too. 

My advice for the letter would be to keep it brief. Explain the accident, how you have mobility issues at the moment and need some adjustments and then will possibly need to reevaluate those adjustments after your ankle surgery. 

Also to let you know, I merged your two threads into one so everything was in one place for you :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.