Refused permission to appeal against the tribunal's decision.I can apply directly to the Upper Tribu — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused permission to appeal against the tribunal's decision.I can apply directly to the Upper Tribu

Options
andwhatisnow
andwhatisnow Community member Posts: 40 Connected
edited April 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, I applied for permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal against the Tribunal's decision. I wanted my PIP go from standard to enhanced.
Today I received a letter from the HM Courts & Tribunals Service.
It says 'I find that is is not appropriate to review the decision because there is no clear error of law in the Tribunal's decision. Permission to appeal is refused because no arguable error of law has been identified. An appeal to the Upper Tribunal can only be on a point of law. The application, in substance, is seeking to re-argue facts. It also refers to a recent deterioration in health. Permission to appeal cannot be granted on these grounds.' If I wish to continue with my application I can apply directly to the Upper Tribunal. Does it mean that I cannot use my health issues as a reason to appeal? I feel that I wasn't awarded what I deserved.
On the papers it says 'Please tell us what error of law you think the First-tier Tribunal has made.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Does it mean that I cannot use my health issues as a reason to appeal? I feel that I wasn't awarded what I deserved.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. The Tribunal can't take into consideration any worsening of condition. You can't appeal just because you think you deserve more points.
    If your health conditions have got worse and you think you can score more points for a higher award you will need to report a change of circumstances. You will then be sent more PIP2 forms to fill in and return and the whole process starts again.
    Before doing this you should get some expert advice from an agency near you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    Does it mean that I cannot use my health issues as a reason to appeal? I feel that I wasn't awarded what I deserved.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. The Tribunal can't take into consideration any worsening of condition. You can't appeal just because you think you deserve more points.
    If your health conditions have got worse and you think you can score more points for a higher award you will need to report a change of circumstances. You will then be sent more PIP2 forms to fill in and return and the whole process starts again.
    Before doing this you should get some expert advice from an agency near you.

Who do I need to contact to report a change of circumstances? And what if it's not just a change of circumstances but it's also the fact that I still disagree with what I was awarded?
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2023
    Options
    You need to contact PIP if you want to report a change of circumstances.
    PIP enquiry line
    Telephone: 0800 121 4433
    Textphone: 0800 121 4493
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4433
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
    You can't appeal a Tribunal decision just because you disagree with the decision. Please read the link that rebel posted above.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    PIP enquiry line
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    You can't appeal a Tribunal decision just because you disagree with the decision. Please read the link that rebel posted above.

So I will need to fill the forms like in the beginning? Exactly the same form?
    What if it's not just a change in circumstance but I also disagree with what I was awarded? Do I make it look like it's a change in circumstance?
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    PIP enquiry line

What if it's not just a change in circumstance but I also disagree with what I was awarded? Do I make it look like it's a change in circumstance?
    That`s fraudulent activity.

• andwhatisnow
    Options
    Cartini said:
    PIP enquiry line

I didn't mean lying. I mean explaining in more details and different words.
  • poppy123456
    Options

Yes that's exactly what it will be. This means that once the decision is made you could either be refused completely so your PIP would stop, your award could remain the same, be reduced or increased.

No, you just fill the forms in as a new claim. However, i note that you were refused the first time which is why you took it to Tribunal. The same could happen again if you fill the forms in the way you did the first time.
    Just because you disagree with the decision it doesn't mean you can score more points needed for a higher award.
    The Tribunal will have applied the law correctly so unless your condition has got worse since the original decision was made by DWP on your existing award i can't see how you could score more points.
  • andwhatisnow
    Options

Yes that's exactly what it will be. This means that once the decision is made you could either be refused completely so your PIP would stop, your award could remain the same, be reduced or increased.

No, you just fill the forms in as a new claim. However, i note that you were refused the first time which is why you took it to Tribunal. The same could happen again if you fill the forms in the way you did the first time.
    Just because you disagree with the decision it doesn't mean you can score more points needed for a higher award.
    The Tribunal will have applied the law correctly so unless your condition has got worse since the original decision was made by DWP on your existing award i can't see how you could score more points.
    So it's a risk, that from trying to get more I get taken away what I have. So it's better to leave it there..
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, it's always a risk and you could lose everything you already have. This is the reason i advised to get some expert advice before going any further. PIP isn't about deserving a higher award, it's whether you can score enough of points needed for that higher award and no one is automatically entitled to this.
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    Cartini said:
    PIP enquiry line

I didn't mean lying. I mean explaining in more details and different words.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.