If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

Options
Harleyqueen
Harleyqueen Community member Posts: 30 Connected
I have a relative who is a pensioner age 69 he currently gets DLA Mobility high rate, no care, Due to his worsening health issues which he has had for over 10 years he would like to apply for care ( until now he has been funding his own care ) Would he be able to inform DLA of this as a change of circumstances and would they consider a care award or could it trigger a new claim for PIP ?

kind regards

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would mean he'll need to apply for PIP because he was born after 9th April 1948. Please be aware that Enhanced mobility PIP has completely different criteria to high rate mobility DLA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Harleyqueen
    Options
    It would mean he'll need to apply for PIP because he was born after 9th April 1948. Please be aware that Enhanced mobility PIP has completely different criteria to high rate mobility DLA.
    Thank you Poppy,
     He was told by a Welfare Rights Advisor that he could do a change of circumstances,
    I had read it could lead to a new PIP Claim but thought he would not be allowed to make a new claim for PIP given his age 69 

I do realise the rules for claiming DLA and PIP are totally different

I feel he needs a new advisor 

Many thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That’s very poor advice that he was given by a welfare rights officer.
    He can’t report a change of circumstances but it will mean a claim for PIP. He maybe 69 now but when PIP was introduced in April 2013 then he was under state pension age, which means at some point he will be invited to claim PIP anyway. See link for confirmation https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/if-you-get-dla/
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Harleyqueen
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, you have explained it very clearly, I will pass the information on

kind regards 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.