ESA review - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA review

Options

Comments

• apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 423 Pioneering
    Options

I hope your theory about them reviewing UC claimants first is wrong as I’m on UC and would rather they stay well away atm lol 
    Honestly I could be wrong because now natural migration is back on the table for 4-5 years someone currently on sg esa alongside pip and gets premiums would lose a huge amount each week making them attractive targets for the dwp

but it seems easier to fail a uc assessment over esa so it may be targeted because of that

along with the 2028 esa switchover benefit reform for existing claimants (probably uc first) starting 2029 I imagine the dwp will want to get all existing esa claimants with one more reassessment and a chance of natural migration before planned migration comes into play with that extra bit of protection

also the general election in the next 18 months may protect us from anything too cruel (ie mass unfair reassessments) as the tories need to keep voters (the current w&p minister has already said that pension age will need to rise but he’s delaying a decision till after the election - so the labour counterpoint can do the dirty work and get the backlash over the tories) 

there are a lot of people on disability benefits in this country who could kick up a fuss if reassessments are rushed plus the tories for the next year have bigger fish to fry! 

• apple85
    Options
    I stand corrected - barring no change after the next general election (relevant to my earlier point if not the thread topic)

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/existing-pip-claimants-may-lose-support-group-status-as-early-as-2026
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,906 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    apple85 said:

I hope your theory about them reviewing UC claimants first is wrong as I’m on UC and would rather they stay well away atm lol 
    Honestly I could be wrong because now natural migration is back on the table for 4-5 years someone currently on sg esa alongside pip and gets premiums would lose a huge amount each week making them attractive targets for the dwp

UC with LCWRA (ESA support Group equivalent) actually pays more than ESA Support Group, if the ESA doesn't include the SDP.

This is one of the reasons why the Government halted the migration to UC for ESA claimants because it will save them millions no doubt.

If SDP is included then UC will be less but there is the SDP transitional element included but this still means you're worse off if you naturally migrate. The TP also erodes over time so if other elements increase the TP decreases.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    apple85 said:

As poppy already advised natural migration has never stopped - it results from claimants having a relevant change of circumstance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    apple85 said:
    I stand corrected - barring no change after the next general election (relevant to my earlier point if not the thread topic)

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/existing-pip-claimants-may-lose-support-group-status-as-early-as-2026

That's not related to the ESA to UC managed migration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Danny123 said:
    I was on contribution based esa , then when I got my back payment I was on contribution based esa with ir top up which paid a little more , then I voulentarilly moved to uc , I still get  contribution based esa every two weeks and they deduct it from my lcwra uc at the end of the month , I'm nearly 150 pounds better off so it defo pays more 🙂

Yes but only if your ESA didn't include the SDP before you claimed UC.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Danny123 said:
    Yeah that's right .... had cbesa with income related top up , nor sure what the top up comes under but don't think it was sdp .... think the top up was enhanced premium  maybe ? They were the ones who moved me over anyway so must be right , took me a while to work it out because once I got my back payment I thought they moved me over to fully income related from cbesa but when they moved me to uc they said I was on cbesa , that when I realised that when I got the back payment they kept me on cbesa but gave me a top up aswell , csn be very confusing for people I'm sure , it was for me 🤯

No one is automatically moved onto UC you will have needed to claim this yourself. When an ESA claim is a mixture of both CB and IR then it's usually known as Income Related.
    For SDP entitlement in legacy benefits you will have needed to be claiming either daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or be registered blind. You will have also needed to be living alone or treated as living alone.
  • sh88
    sh88 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to give a little update on my own circumstances. I called the other day as my review is due next month and I’ve still not had my form to fill for reassessment, to be told my review has been moved to august 2025. 
    So just for anyone who’s unsure, please don’t be put off calling to ask the question. When I asked why this was, if they’d made a new decision based on paper etc and the lady was very nice and said it’s basically because they are backlogged from during Covid. Hope this helps - I’m majorly anxious and was getting myself so stressed so just decided to call to find out. Now I do know this is just an estimate date 
  • apple85
    Options
    What’s the latest on ‘old style’ (pre uc) ESA reassessments? 

It sounds like reviews may of restarted?

However are the ‘floodgates’ fully open? Or are only a certain criteria (only the wrag or support group claimants for example) being done or is it a total lottery (could get the dreaded reassessment tomorrow or in 2 years type thing?)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    apple85 said:

However are the ‘floodgates’ fully open? Or are only a certain criteria (only the wrag or support group claimants for example) being done or is it a total lottery (could get the dreaded reassessment tomorrow or in 2 years type thing?)
    For those claiming Income Related they are still suspended, with the exception of those that haven’t had a review for many many years.. 8+ years. 
  • kuju2
    kuju2 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi I received an ESA50 form at the end of June this year. I am currently getting income based ESA and I am in the support group. I applied for PIP at the start of June, would this have triggered me getting the ESA50 form? I see that Poppy, who I believe to be very knowledgeable, is saying that Support Group assessments are still suspended. I hadn't had a review since 2012, could this be why I've received the ESA50? I just think it's unfair if I received it because I applied for PIP.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @kuju2 it wouldn’t have been because of your PIP claim. 

Reviews for most people are still suspended, with the exception of those that haven’t had a review for a considerable length of time, likely 8+ years.  

11 years without a review is an extremely long time so you were definitely due one. This would be why you were contacted. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,089 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @kuju2 and welcome to the community. :) 
    Claiming PIP shouldn't have trigged a review for your ESA as they are different benefits. We have been hearing from a few members who have also been claiming ESA for sometime and starting to receive review forms so it could just be coincidental. 
    I hope your review and claim for PIP both go well. Please let us know if we can help at all.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • hughie1
    hughie1 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    apple85 said:

For those claiming Income Related they are still suspended, with the exception of those that haven’t had a review for many many years.. 8+ years. 
    Poppy, why is it I recently sent off my esa50 for reassessment then, if they're suspended?

My last review was July 2016. Disallowed. Then overturned by tribunal November 2017. 
  • kami84
    kami84 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    Options
    Hey people. I have an upcoming PIP review. I realised that in a question about spending money I answered it wrongly on the form. I actually have problems with simple financial decisions. And I answered it that I have problem with complex decision, what should I do and how to explain it during the assesment? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Hi @kami84 - I'm sure others will have made some small error with their PIP review form which I'd simply explain in your upcoming review. Then try to give a couple of recent examples as to the difficulty you have with simple budgeting decisions such as where were you, what happened, was anyone with you, do you need support from someone else to supervise or prompt you, why do you need this help (even if you don't receive it) or can you not manage even if someone tries to help?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    hughie1 said:
    apple85 said:

Poppy, why is it I recently sent off my esa50 for reassessment then, if they're suspended?

My last review was July 2016. Disallowed. Then overturned by tribunal November 2017. 

They weren't suspended for everyone. If your last review was 2016 then that will be 7 years ago, so quite sometime since you had a review.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hughie, have you asked DWP why?

You do not need to be reassessed unless DWP has evidence that you no longer meet the qualifying criteria. Do they? Of course not. The determination reached at Tribunal stands until a fresh determination is made and since DWP failed to follow the correct procedures in 2016, why would they now? 

When there is good reason to believe that a claimant no longer has the condition that resulted in the decision for having LCW or LCWRA in ESA, they can be referred to CHDA for a WCA. The claimant will retain the decision they have LCW or LCWRA until a review WCA has taken place and a further decision is made.

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Hughie,

ESA reviews are only suspended for Income-Related ESA with/without an HB claim (and no other benefits) as far as I know.

But a new assessment in your case needs to be justified - by DWP, like tomorrow. 
    When was the WCA referral made, which team made the referral and under which grounds/rules/regulations?

To halt the WCA process, you may withdraw consent for your GP to provide new information to the Assessment Provider via the ESA50 or your GP will be instructed not to issue any more 'fit notes' for you - research this 

tbc

• poppy123456
    Options
    WhatThe said:

But a new assessment in your case needs to be justified - by DWP, like tomorrow. 
    When was the WCA referral made, which team made the referral and under which grounds/rules/regulations?

You keep saying this but why do you think that DWP need to justify a review?

WhatThe said:

To halt the WCA process, you may withdraw consent for your GP to provide new information to the Assessment Provider via the ESA50 or your GP will be instructed not to issue any more 'fit notes' for you - research this 

That won't halt a WCA. It will continue even if a claimant withdraws consent. They very rarely contact anyone anyway.

At this stage because there's already a Support Group award in place then no fit notes are needed. Therefore the advice about fit notes is incorrect. GP's have been known to be contacted after the first work capability assessment to advise no further fit notes are needed. In this case it's not a first WCA.

I'm posting the same link i posted on another thread that you've commented on recently. https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7820/CBP-7820.pdf Although the severe conditions group was announced 1st Octber 2016. 

Changes didn't take place until 29th September 2017 and claimants would need to go through a work capability assessment from this date to be placed into this group. Those that had an assessment before that date would not be placed into this group.

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.