Query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.


steve67 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
hi I recently had a over bath shower fitted but with there being a window at one end of the bath I had to have bath changed this was all covered by council which they employed outside contractors to carry out the works but now after two weeks the new bath has a crack in it to no fault of our own it has to be a faulty bath or not fitted correctly anyway contacted contractor who fitted a member came and investigated and said it was not right and needed replaced but said it would be a complete nightmare and said would ring back but never did so rang again to be told they would not be doing it so rang council and I just can’t seem to get anywhere so now can’t get a shower or bath any suggestions please 


  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,636 Pioneering
    edited April 2023
    Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, explain what's happened, how it effects you (can't have bath, can't have shower, the stress it's causing you etc) and what you want them to do. You can complain online via the Council's website. In your letter, you should state that if the matter isn't resolved, you will complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.  

    Once you've made the complaint online, call the Council's Welfare Officer, tell them this is 'urgent'. 

  • steve67
    steve67 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
    Rebel11 thank you for your reply  this is very helpful thanks again 
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    I'm so sorry you've been left in the lurch @steve67! Let us know how things go with the complaint, and please ask if you feel we can help further :)
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    @steve67 Could you say if it is safe for you to stand up in a shower? I assume that it is, but could you clarify?
  • steve67
    steve67 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
    Hi Steve in the city hi I have had handle fitted to wall above the bath for steadying 
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hi @steve67 The advice given by @rebel11 is sound. Some years ago I had a complaint against my local council upheld by the ombudsman and as a result was given a new flat.

    Getting the crack repaired in your bath is one issue, but another issue is do you feel safe getting in and out of a bath and using an overhead shower even though you have a grab rail? If you don't feel secure get in touch with adult social services and ask for an OT to view your home. I did this and I got a new bathroom that was a perfect for a disabled person.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.