If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP re mobility is it true if you do not use a wheelchair they mark you down

Options
erm
erm Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
I read that people who do not enter the face to face interview in a wheelchair are marked down, so don't qualify for enhanced rate, no matter how difficult or painful walking is for them and limited to under 20 meters at a time then rest before continuing, some people cannot propel a manual wheelchair nor bend to assemble one nor lift one out of a vehicle! Hopefully this is not true and people are judged on lack of walking ability!

Comments

• Superbetty
    Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I cannot help you with this, but I am curious if it is true, as I am waiting for my assesement. Maybe I am naive, but even if you can walk, I read and understood it is not only how far you can walk, but how much effort it takes, how long it will take you etc. But will be good to read about people's experiences. I will be happy to get just standard rate, would be over the moon, but yes, I can hardly walk:-(
  • erm
    Options
    I hope it is not true also I think it might depend on each assessor, I know about people with exactly the same conditions and issues that were marked differently on various parts luckily they got approved for pip, but reading about the wheelchair thing is worrying. I read some ask how you got there and if you say on the bus and had to walk from there, they put it down that you are ok walking, which is ludicrous as it might take people an hour to walk the same distance that a fit person does in a couple of minutes. Good luck anyway! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That’s complete nonsense! Where did you read this? 

A wheelchair is an aid. For mobility part moving around, what they take into consideration is your ability to put at least 1 foot on the ground and move. Activity 2E (12 points) can stand and then move 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 

If a person is unable to stand and move 1 metre then activity 2F will apply (12 points) https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • erm
    Options
    That's a relief I am sure some people put out tales to deter people from applying! at least it will stop someone from worrying themselves to death weeks before they go to their interview! 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it's asked how you got to an assessment centre, then it might be more about the planning a journey part looking at any mental health problem, if you said you had difficulty with this, yet had managed to get there using an unfamiliar bus route.
    You can be watched walking into an assessment centre, then room, to see any problems you have. As everyone, even those with the same disorder, are affected differently, then it's only your difficulties that will be taken into consideration. As with all of the activities/descriptors, it's all about your functional ability to do these 'reliably.' That is safely, to an acceptable standard, be able to repeat as often as would be reasonable to expect, & complete in no more than twice as long as it would take a non-disabled person to do so. Please see the following looking at section 2.2 especially: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

• kitkat23
    kitkat23 Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Options
    I can walk...I don't use a stick or a wheelchair....ican plan and follow a journey...I get enhanced
  • Superbetty
    Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
    Options
    kitkat23 said:
    I can walk...I don't use a stick or a wheelchair....ican plan and follow a journey...I get enhEnhanced mobility you mean? Wow, this give me a hope. How did your assestement go, if I can ask obviously?
  • erm
    Options
    KitKat23 please explain how you got enhanced mobility rate when you walk ok do not use a stick or wheelchair and can plan a journey as that seems impossible as it states walk less than 20 meters for enhanced rate, many people have been denied any rate when they are in pain standing let alone walking  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kitkat23 said:
    I can walk...I don't use a stick or a wheelchair....ican plan and follow a journey...I get enhanced
    Was that a typo? For following and planning a journey do you mean you “can’t” plan a journey rather than “can”? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    erm said:
    KitKat23 please explain how you got enhanced mobility rate when you walk ok
    I think you’re misunderstanding the moving around part. I get Enhanced mobility for this part and yes I can walk and no I don’t use a wheelchair. I do use a stick and have done for more than 10 years. Activity 2E is either aided or unaided. It’s not just aided. 
    What I can’t do is walk more than about 10 metres without pain and discomfort. I certainly couldn’t walk that distance regularly and reliably. For this reason I scored 12 point for activity 2E. 
  • kitkat23
    Options
    kitkat23 said:
    I can walk...I don't use a stick or a wheelchair....ican plan and follow a journey...I get enhEnhanced mobility you mean? Wow, this give me a hope. How did your assestement go, if I can ask obviously?
    kitkat23 said:
    I had a telephone assessment in 2020....it was ok....but for my review I didn't have any assessment ....just completed the form and they awarded same award as previously 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Similarly, & on just a personal level, I walk inside with no aids, but usually use elbow crutches when outside as they help reduce my pain, & have had them for over 20 years. I'm in pain the moment I'm upright, & tho it can be a difficult one to get across, this is where, as for every descriptor, you should give a couple of recent, detailed examples, ideally with your claim form, if not with your assessment, as to the difficulties you face, & why. I also got 12 points for the 'moving around' activity, so the enhanced rate.
    So, it's not good enough as far as PIP goes, to say 'I can't do x activity due to having 'arthritis,' for example. You need to say what happened recently when you did/attempted this, when did this happen, what exactly happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences from trying to do this activity, such as pain or fatigue for example? This shows your individual problems & turns an 'assumption'  into an 'assertion' about your difficulties.
  • kitkat23
    Options
    kitkat23 said:
    Was that a typo? For following and planning a journey do you mean you “can’t” plan a journey rather than “can”? 
    Hi Poppy ...no it should read 'I can' ....the point i was trying to make was you don't have to use a chair or stick to get an enhanced award....mine was based on having arthralgia  ( mainly knee and ankle) and fatigue ..... both ongoing side effects from chemo and radiotherapy some years ago 
  • kitkat23
    Options
    erm said:
    KitKat23 please explain how you got enhanced mobility rate when you walk ok do not use a stick or wheelchair and can plan a journey as that seems impossible as it states walk less than 20 meters for enhanced rate, many people have been denied any rate when they are in pain standing let alone walking  
    I didn't say I walk ok .....I said I don't use a chair or a stick....I can walk 20m some days....but not consistently or reliably and have pain 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kitkat23 said:
    kitkat23 said:
    Hi Poppy ...no it should read 'I can' ....the point i was trying to make was you don't have to use a chair or stick to get an enhanced award....
    Ah ok, I understand you now and yes I completely agree with everything you said. 
  • erm
    Options
    Thanks all for the input it all helps get a clearer picture of how to advise on how to get ones conditions and problems across at their assessment.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The time to get your point across really was when you filled out the form as it's the most important part of your claim. There's never usually enough of time to go through everything during the assessment.

A lot of people often moan that they felt rushed or they couldn't go into enough of detail or they weren't asked about XYZ when they felt they should have been.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with poppy saying,'The time to get your point across really was when you filled out the form as it's the most important part of your claim.'
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Purrrrrrr said:

the planning a route etc question I took at face value and gave no other info.   Can you plan a route etc.  Yes. Not realising I need to say how it all affects me and any difficulties etc Do  I need someone with me or help from someone or a aid.    

Planning and following a journey applies those that have conditions such as mental health, cognitive and sensory impairments. It doesn't apply to those that have physical conditions.

Purrrrrrr said:

I'm hoping this time to get enhanced mobility  I didnt get it last time, but reading so much info here and citizens' advice, it's the wording and how things affect you while doing them not just a case of cant or can do something. 

There's no specific wording you should or shouldn't use. Concentrate on those real world examples, what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you. Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Purrrrrrr said:
    Purrrrrrr said:

the planning a route etc question I took at face value and gave no other info.   Can you plan a route etc.  Yes. Not realising I need to say how it all affects me and any difficulties etc Do  I need someone with me or help from someone or a aid.    

Planning and following a journey applies those that have conditions such as mental health, cognitive and sensory impairments. It doesn't apply to those that have physical conditions.

Purrrrrrr said:

I'm hoping this time to get enhanced mobility  I didnt get it last time, but reading so much info here and citizens' advice, it's the wording and how things affect you while doing them not just a case of cant or can do something. 

There's no specific wording you should or shouldn't use. Concentrate on those real world examples, what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you. Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

Re Planning and following a journey applies to those that have conditions such as mental health etc.  Yes, I now know this (thank you for that). but didnt last time.  A lot of my problems are to do with MHP and learning difficulties. I just didnt know to put about them in that section. 

So just said yes I can plan a route with my satnav.    😂

You're not alone in not understanding the PIP descriptors because so many people don't. A satnav isn't classed as an aid unless it's specially designed or modified to assist a disabled person.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.