lump sum pension on sick — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

lump sum pension on sick

Options
antonjanekids
antonjanekids Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi   i am retairing on ill health  i can  draw down on  my  works pension  which i will pay off  some  deit s    about 9000   can i  do this or  will  any  off  my  benifits  drop  thanks

Comments

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    I hope that you have sought advice before doing this when taking money out of your pension pot. Will the resulting pension payments be enough to live on during retirement?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A drawn down lump sum from a pension will be classed as savings. For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 and your ESA will reduce by £1/week. 

If you do take this lump sum then you will need to report the changes to your ESA. It will be down to a decision maker to decide whether paying off your mortgage and reducing your savings will affect your ESA. In my opinion I can’t see paying off a mortgage is going to be seen as deprivation of capital but I’m not a decision maker. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 2oldcodgers
    Options
    A drawn down lump sum from a pension will be classed as savings. For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 and your ESA will reduce by £1/week. 

If you do take this lump sum then you will need to report the changes to your ESA. It will be down to a decision maker to decide whether paying off your mortgage and reducing your savings will affect your ESA. In my opinion I can’t see paying off a mortgage is going to be seen as deprivation of capital but I’m not a decision maker. 
    Paying off a mortgage is a very efficient way of converting assessable capital to a non assessable asset.

• poppy123456
    Options

Paying off a mortgage is a very efficient way of converting assessable capital to a non assessable asset.

Your point being?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 2oldcodgers
    Options

Being allowed to pay off their mortgage will mean that the capital will become non assessable capital.
    Money that is tied up in their own home be it equity or mortgage repayment is never used towards the £6000 limit. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    Indeed. It's also worth thinking about whether it's worth paying off the mortgage with that amount. If it pays off the motgage completely then yes it will be worth it. I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't do this though.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.