Hi, my name is smoggie2023! I'm looking for advice about a industrial injuries claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is smoggie2023! I'm looking for advice about a industrial injuries claim

smoggie2023 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi every.one.....turned 66 and now the problems have stated


  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 8,132 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 24
    Hi @smoggie2023 Welcome to the Community. If you have any questions please ask. I am sorry you are having problems is it anything you would like to talk about, we are here to support you where we can. Have a look around and join in with us.
  • smoggie2023
    smoggie2023 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I'm looking for advice about a industrial injuries claim that was a lifetime award....and because l have stopped work and are now claiming state pension they say l need to be re accessed
    For claim the benefit...and have to attend a medical....

    Can not understand way they need to have a reassessment after 34 years

    They are just looking to stop my benifit 
    .....for eny reasons they can find

    I thought that life ment life....
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 33,059 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @smoggie2023 welcome to the forum I don't have any answers for you on this topic, just bumping your post up, so someone may see it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,829 Disability Gamechanger
    I’d advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits
    Despite my benefits knowledge IIDB is not something I’m familiar with because we don’t have many threads regarding this benefit. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    edited April 25
    What type of Industrial Injuries do you claim?

    Do you claim Earnings Related industrial injuries?  This can be claimed when classed as less than 14% disabled but you must qualify for both the following statements:  
    • you cannot do your usual job or other work with similar pay because of an accident or disease caused by work
    • you have a disability or injury which began before 1 October 1990
    I used to receive the maximum Earnings Related Industrial Injuries benefit and when I stopped working and started to receive my State Pension it changed to Industrial Injuries Retirement Allowance.  This was a much lower amount only one quarter of the amount before I retired.

    OR DO YOU CLAIM Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit?  For this you would have needed to have been classed as at least 14% disabled.  There are different rules for this and I do not know a lot about them.

    But I have found this information for you which may be helpful.
  • smoggie2023
    smoggie2023 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I broke my back when working back in 1989...l was award industrial injuries benefit at 20%for life....and l.also was awarded related earnings....

    I've been getting this with  been self employed subcontrater since 2002.....

    I decided that l no longer wanted to work and informed them last month...now they are saying l need to have a disability accessment to assess my condition..for receiving the benefit 

    They also say that l may have been overpaid and need proof of the hours worked over the last 10 weeks...they just looking for something. To say we got ya....

    It was a Life Time Award....with no chance of improving..I've had on and off long periods of sickness due to different problems over the years, resulting in a medical assessment but l have never had a positive result where l have had the results looked at again...but have always gone back to work....and l have done this 2023

    Now they are just looking for a reason to have it stopped...

    The system with benifits is fixed so u always lose....

    I was in my 30,s when this happened working as a scaffloder off-shore on the Rigs...and l lost that trade due to this accident.....

    Been self employed l went to work when I Wanted too...

    Sorry for going on.....

    I have decided to tell them to shove there benifits....when the date for the accessment comes....system stinks 


  • smoggie2023
    smoggie2023 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    This is why l told them l was not going to work anymore ..and would get this....

    Retirement Allowance If your Reduced Earnings Allowance is £2 or more a week when you reach State Pension age and you’re not in regular employment, we’ll replace it with another benefit called Retirement Allowance.
  • smoggie2023
    smoggie2023 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I read through the booklet....things have changed now.....
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you feeling about all of this at the moment @smoggie2023?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • smoggie2023
    smoggie2023 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Worked out that l get more money.help by not claiming the Industrial injuries....

    That's with regards to housing and rates...

    So l am not going to clim the injuries and reduced earnings 

    Just the attitude of the dwp towards ppl....they thing that everyone is out to screw them over....other then Industrial injuries...l have not claimed any type of benifit since 2002.....apart from sickness...

    Is what it is...there is to many different types of benifit...the system is a mess

    End of the day it is what it is...


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.