Wedding Day nerves as a disabled person? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wedding Day nerves as a disabled person?

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

Your Wedding Day is arguably one of the biggest, most significant days of your life, so it's understandable to have a degree of apprehension about the practicalities!

And in this Enhance the UK blog post, one wheelchair user receives advice and reassurance around fears of being looked at whilst coming down the aisle, the first dance and more.

For instance:
There is often pressure for brides to walk down the aisle and to have the perfect photos. If it is not possible for you to walk or you may use all of your energy doing this, try not to stress about this or let it get you down. The day is about you and your partner so do what feels best for you both rather than worrying about what others think. There are plenty of examples of people coming down the aisle in groups dancing or doing something funny – again, removing that pressure and focus on you ‘walking’ down the aisle and staring at you. But people know you as a wheelchair user so equally be proud of that and flaunt it if you want!

Over to you:

• Did you have any fears about how your day would go and it not being the ‘normal’ way of doing things?
  • What advice would you give to others in a similar position?
  • What memories do you hold from your special day?
Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below!  <3
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If I was getting married I would be scared of falling down the Isle. But in fairness i think that is every brides nightmare.  
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I once met the most beautiful bride. I was living some place where there were lots of actors. So I asked her if she was acting (she was dressed for the role) but she said no!
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Sandy_123 Definitely, before I graduated I had a fear of falling on the stage when going to accept my certificate. I walked so slowly when I got there  :D

And oooh @Steve_in_The_City was she on her way to a wedding?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That would be nerve racking @Cher_Scope . I hate those stage steps with no rails 
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    @Cher_Scope Yes, she was going to her own wedding (or had been to it, I can't remember). It was in 1997. I can remember the year because my partner and I moved in to a new flat. She told me they were having drinks in a pub a little way along the street and asked if I would like to come along and have a glass of champagne. I said no (I am a bit shy and don't like mixing with strangers) but I told her she was absolutely beautiful! Maybe not very politically correct of me, but she didn't give me a slap so I live to tell the tale!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.