If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

UC carers element and child disability element.

Options
theroseys
theroseys Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good afternoon, I was recently made aware of the carers element that is attached to universal credit on the basis where a child receives the middle/higher rate of DLA. My child was awarded the higher rate in April 2021 (this was informed to UC when awarded), he has now been renewed to the middle rate as of April 2023. I applied for the carers element with the effective date set as April 2021, this has been awarded. My case worker has sent the backdate of 2021 to a decision maker, I was wondering if anyone had anything similar on whether the backdate was granted. 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,734 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @theroseys

Just to let you know, I've deleted a few duplicates of your thread (it appears gremlins were at work!) and moved it to our Universal Credit (UC) category.

I'm sure our members will share their experiences and thoughts, and in the meantime I wish you luck with the process. Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It may take a few weeks.
    theroseys said:
    My child was awarded the higher rate in April 2021 (this was informed to UC when awarded), he has now been renewed to the middle rate as of April 2023.
    Are you saying the DLA care has been reduced from high rate to middle rate? If so then this will affect the disabled child element and it will reduce from higher rate £456.89/month to lower rate of £146.31/month.

You will need to report the changes on your journal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • theroseys
    Options
    @poppy123456, that's correct I reported the changes at the same time as requesting for the carers element. I wasn't aware the carers element existed until a few weeks ago :) 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,393 Scope online community team
    Options
    Unfortunately unless you can evidence that you reported being a carer to UC, they won't always backdate the carer element @theroseys. Do you receive Carer's Allowance? 

I'd be interested to know how you get on, if you're willing please update us when you hear back from the decision maker. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • theroseys
    Options
    Hi Adrian, I do not receive carers allowance as I do not meet the eligibility. 

I have received a letter from UC that the decision maker has reviewed my delay in reporting and under special circumstances my UC will be adjusted from date of change. I have received the disabled children element since 2021, I explained to UC that I was unaware that I would be entitled to the childs element.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's good news. They will need to recalculate your past statements before they can pay what is owed. It can take quite a few weeks for them to do this. Once it's done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much they owe and it will then be paid into your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.