losing benefits after a critical illness payout and worried — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

losing benefits after a critical illness payout and worried

greatscott83 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone, hoping you can offer some guidance if been through a similar thing.

I had a car crash in 2017 that left me registered disabled, I get enhanced PIP on both elements, contributions ESA support group and limited capability on UC, 100% discount on council tax. 

I've had a critical illness payout for my mortgage of 6 figures, now this could clear my mortgage, and have a couple of grand left to enjoy, but I've also had an opportunity to try and create some additional income and a pension down the line with buying a flat to rent out I can buy outright with cash.

I know I would lose UC and I'm thinking I would lose the council tax discount as well but I'm unsure. 

if I purchase a flat and rent out on my current benefits what will I lose? im likely to lose UC and council tax reductions, but will I lose contributions ESA? and I have a 17 yr old kid who lives with me (moved in last week)  would I lose any support for him also? (child element of UC) Currently, I don't get anything for him including child benefits as he's moved in literally last week long term. 

do I pay off my mortgage and live an easy mortgage-free life and continue to claim all im eligible to or try and use this money to set myself up and step away from benefits and maybe make myself a future in the landlord game?

any advice is welcomed.... im really stressed with it all as I think im risking a lot of benefits but im in a really good situation, but this money is a headache and id rather not have it in one sense. 



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.