If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Legacy Benefits

Options
mollyx
mollyx Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi Everyone I’m new here but I have an urgent question to ask. I’m moving to another council and I’m on ESA Support Group I get Severe Disability Premiums and PIP Daily living Higher rate. 
Will I definitely go onto Universal Credit when I spark this change in circumstances? I’m just waiting for my review to come back from the PIP so I’m worrying about that. I’ve got this move to contend with and also my daughter is turning 18 and she is undecided If she is going to stay in education so then I’ll be losing her Child Tax and Child Benefit. Will me losing her benefits make my HB change and my ESA change to lower payments. 
I really need help if someone has any answers please as all of this is going to come at once as we’re moving in August! Shall I claim UC and just get it out of the way? She has said she will care for me but I think it’s a bit on her but then again I could really do with the help. Any help I really would appreciate so thank you in advance. 👌🏻🤞👍🏻

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you wish to receive help with your rent in the local authority you wish have to claim UC because you will need to be able to able a new Housing Benefit claim. Claiming UC will end the income based ESA claim, it will end 2 weeks after the UC claim is made. Any contribution based ESA will continue (but will be deducted from the UC). Your UC award which include an amount additional amount SDP transitional protection (just long as you still SDP requirements at the time of transfer).  The SDPTE is a fixed amount at transfer and is then reduced in the future each time any other part of the UC award increases,

I can use a benefit calculator to compare how much you should expect.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your daughter finishes full time education your benefits for her will end. This means unless she's also claiming a qualifying disability benefit herself such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care, or she's registered blind, your SDP will end.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    calcotti said: I can use a benefit calculator to compare how much you should expect.
    I mean that you can use a benefit calculator to compare how much you should expect!
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk

The SDPTE 
    element is £132.12/month (if you are single with SDP).

More information about how transitional protection works
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Transitional-protection-Universal-Credit
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mollyx
    mollyx Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much for your speedy reply. The information is a great help so thank you for that also. Another thing I’m worrying about is the transitional protection if I spark this change in circumstances myself I think this would make it a natural migration not a migration that they do themselves which I lose the transitional protection because ive forced the move by changing circumstances. I hope you get what I mean it’s all very confusing 
    thanks 
    Claire
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    There will only be transitional protection for you if you move to UC and your ESA includes the SDP, providing you're still entitled to the SDP when you move across, as advised by calcotti. If your SDP ends because your daughter leaves full time education then there will be no TP when you move to UC.

Which ever way you look at you, you will be worse off anyway when you move to UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.