If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted Work, additional hours.

Options
Mory
Mory Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi.  I am reciept of ESA Wrag (pre 2017 rate) and PIP standard care so also get SDP. 
I started doing 7.5 hours of permitted work for a mental health charity about 3 years ago.  I currently earn 364.80 a month which is based on my annual salaray being calculated of 4,379.70 divided by 12.   
364.80/4 = 91.20 a week 
Wheras what I actually get is 84.23 a week in reality - 11.23 an hour x 7.5.

I've been asked to do paid training using addional hours.  But I'm scared the DWP will think my regular weekly salary amount is 91.20 and not the 84.23 a week - which with addional hours (which may vary from week to week) will sometimes take me over the 167 pound a week permitted work limit.   Which will they use?  my monthly pay check or my actual hourly rate. 

Also do you have to inform the DWP (they are already aware that I do permitted work) that your doing extra - it will be for no more than 10 weeks) if you stay below the £167 limit/ 16 hours limit.  

It is worrying me alot, I suffer from an anxiety disorder and awaiting an autism assessment, any dealings with the dwp I find stressful esp as not all of my past ones have been good. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,269 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Permitted work rules are that you must not earn more than £167/week and work less than 16 hours per week. If your earnings go above £167/week then you will not be entitled to ESA for that week and your ESA will end. It will be your earnings they will go by. If you earn more and do more hours then you will need to tell them because they will find out if your employer reports your earnings to HMRC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mory
    Mory Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

Yes I will inform them - They already know I do permitted work but a regular contract of 7.5 hours.  I've never done addional hours before. 

It's just knowing how the DWP will approach calculating the addional hours I guess that is my concern. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,269 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your earnings will be calculated as they always were, which is why you need to make sure you don't earn more than the permitted work earnings. (even though it's only for 10 weeks, the same rules apply)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.