If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sdp conclusion so I thought?

Options
sd100
sd100 Community member Posts: 126 Courageous
Hi there, just last Friday was informed my Sdp was being backdated and paid and the lady told me that it was to be disregarded for life of my esa entitlement.
I asked her if I should inform housing benefit and she told me that they are linked and shouldn’t have to but wouldn’t hurt to take a physical copy of reward letter to them so they have a copy.

Today I called my local council housing benefit and the lady I spoke to about it didn’t have the foggiest of what I was talking about and told me to contact the dwp.

Should I just keep the letter safe and if any problems arise in future show them the letter? 
Or should I try with housing benefit again and hope to speak to someone that knows about this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    DWP sometimes share information with a local Authority but not always. Yes, just keep the letter and show it if needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sd100
    Options
    Thanks poppy will do that. Don’t see the point in going there if people don’t even know what I’m talking about.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are passported to full Housing Benefit because you get income based ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sd100
    Options
    Thanks calcotti wanted to be sure as I read past posts about over 16k threshold
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    sd100 said:
    Thanks calcotti wanted to be sure as I read past posts about over 16k threshold
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/benefits/housing_benefit/treatment_of_capital_and_income_in_housing_benefit_calculations
    Passport benefits
    The local authority does not assess income and capital if the claimant is receiving:
     - income support
     - income-based jobseeker's allowance
     - income-related employment and support allowance
     - universal credit
     - guarantee credit of pension credit
    These are often described as 'passport' benefits. 
    All passport benefits are administered by the DWP and are means-tested. The DWP assesses a claimant's income and capital when working out if they are entitled to any of the passport benefits. When a claimant is in receipt of a passport benefit they qualify for maximum housing benefit automatically.

This means that in these circumstances the decision on what is counted as capital is a decision made by DWP but not the local authority.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sd100
    Options
    that’s that’s very reassuring thank yo so much calcotti, I appreciate it.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.