Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

How has the cost of living crisis affected your everyday life?

Options

Comments

• Mikecd
    Mikecd Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options

Hey, just a heads up for anyone who need special equipment for their health.

I got a mini fridge to keep my meds away from the regular fridge. I thought it was a good idea, but then I saw how much it cost me in electricity. It was like 30 to 50p extra per day! That's a lot for a fridge that can only fit six cans of pop, for me injections and asthma inhalor so not so crucial. 

So I'm just sharing this to let you know that some people need special equipment for their health. I turned off the mini fridge and put my meds back in the main fridge. That saves me more than £100 a year. The mini fridge might be useful for trips, so it's not a total waste.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @Mikecd even something with a small daily cost can really mount up over a year!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Mikecd
    Mikecd Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @Mikecd even something with a small daily cost can really mount up over a year!
    Absolutely 
  • davidb2010
    davidb2010 Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Although this thread is mostly centered on energy costs, which I guess have had the most severe impact on people, the rising prices have crept into every aspect of society.
    Like many disabled people, it is important for me to have a decent diet. I am desperately trying to lose weight as it will help me a great deal. But when you add up the cost of making healthy meals from scratch it is crazy. My wife and I are both good cooks, so can make most things, but basic ingredients are so expensive now. Milk, cheese, meat (all types), fruit, vegetables - pretty much everything !
    Then you see a calorie-packed ready meal on sale for a couple of quid - it is very tempting!
  • marybottomley
    marybottomley Community member Posts: 900 Pioneering
    Options
    I look for the bargains 
  • AmarH
    AmarH Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    mousey said:
    I stopped putting the heating on, full stop. Hot water goes on once a week to have a wash. I still pay £120 a month gas / electric. Only £35 of that is electricity, because I barely use any. Spend most days on my phone at home so don’t do much other than charge that and have the lights on in the evening. 

• AmarH
    Options
    Being wise and careful with your money is a good way to control and maintain your resources in this difficult time 
  • AmarH
    Options
    val23 said:
    Hi it really unfair how they expect people to live .there times I don’t eat 
    at the moment I’m in supported accommodation with out the support and care that a whole different area and being taking higher ,
    I  have to pay housing 21 116 pound every month that before normal living expenses like basic food ect 
    I’m in wheelchair and I also have recliner for my physical needs and the hospital bed which to needs plugging in full time 
    I also owe over 5thousand for care which I did not have the full time dates or showed and care for properly .
    I do my own care now which is difficult but I can’t afford any outside care 
    I lost my hubby in January this year and he had issues I had to do his care that how bad this place is 
    I’m in horrible condition with my mental health and under the crisis team .
    im awaiting a priority  move but there saying there no places for a disabled person in a very wide area I think there just trying to not help me 
    once I move I will not have to part with 116 a month 
    I will not have to leave in a place I feel unsafe in plus other reason 
    I’m still awaiting my money be sorted properly as I’m not getting the money for being sick and disabled and unable to work so someone needs to get the matter sorted as with people like our self we need to have basic essential and have are appliance for needs plugged in as well as everyday essential .

• AmarH
    Options
    Be strong. It’s difficult when things in general overwhelm you and you feel stuck with no means of escape but think positive you are not alone. Get in touch with the citizens advice bureau you can find them through google and they have a website which is easy to use and I hope they guide you on the correct path to a brighter future 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you found Citizen's Advice helpful @AmarH? As you say, you are never as alone as you may feel!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Finding another personal assistant, petrol prices. Even my nails went up as well. Guess how much a bottle of Diet Coke was? It was once £2.65 and a coffee from  an shop in a hospital 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How much was the bottle of diet coke @durhamjaide2001? - I am guessing expensive!  :(
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Options
    Thankfully we haven’t personally been affected by the CoL Crisis.

I don’t work due to a spinal condition and GP put me on Medical Retirement(only 35) but my partner has a very well paid job so we are very financially secure.

I have seen a lot of the news coverage about CoL and it sounds quite brutal for people struggling 
  • Emeraldgem
    Emeraldgem Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Hi all. Since having to come out of full time employment due to mental health problems and now also physical health issues my husband had to also give up work to become my full time career. We have certainly felt the impact of the cost of living in these last few months more than ever. The cost of food, gas, electricity have rocketed. We only live in a 1 bed flat and the amount of electricity we are using is £70 a month and that’s just running your everyday stuff in your home, my husband had his PlayStation on most the day as that’s he’s outlet and his time but it’s still only run on 1 TV. Same with the cost of food shopping the increase is around £40 that may not seem like a lot to some but when you have to watch what you spend it is. 
  • Emille
    Emille Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Options
    It's so upsetting to see so many of us struggling - the worst part is that despite disability benefits (which are becoming harder to get as well as the DWP making you literally crawl through the gutter for) and the 'Cost of Living Payments) many of us are still having to face becoming sicker / more pain and reduced quality /quantity of life -

This whole business with the energy companies has been selfish.  They should have absorbed the majority of the costs - they can quite well afford it and it's perfectly clear that disabled people can't.  I lived with next to no heating last winter.  I could only sink wash from hot water from my kettle - I now have a few months grace on the electric having put all of the cost of living payment towards it - and I had my first proper bath/shower for 9 months using my bath chair - and it was so wonderful to feel clean again - what a thing to have to say in the 21st Century.

I am Having to pay almost £100 a month for 'Bedroom Tax'. which was why I couldn't have my heating/hot water and was only on ESA Support of £135 a week.

I have been trying to downsize to a 1 bed flat for the last 9 years and even though I am High Priority Cat A with my local council there are no properties available due to the shortage of  housing.  Disability Access Housing takes even longer. 

'Bedroom Tax' is  one of the worst policies ever made.  You can't save for a deposit/moving costs on benefits if you are having to pay it or have savings for something unexpected like the energy crisis.

I could have used £100 instead  for my electricity and been able to put all the cost of living payments in my savings for any future financial emergencies.

Someday I will find a disability downsize but I can only hope it comes before I can no longer pay my rent and end up evicted. I count my blessings for now - I still have a roof, a little food and as long as I keep a tight penny for penny budget like many of you I have to do my best to keep going.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Hello @Emille

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with the heating costs. I would encourage you to reach out to Scope's Disability Energy Support to see what more could be done to help you :) I'm also concerned about you mentioning little food. We have a page on accessing free food and food banks, which you might find helpful to read. This includes some information on getting free or cheap food without a referral, as well as a with a referral. 

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Emille
    Options
    Hi Hannah thanks for your reply and the offer of help - Good news, I have finally been accepted for PIP Benefit.  I have just received a nice big backdated payment from March and they gave me the low rate mobility of £64.00.  The ESA Review came through and they have added the Severe Disability Premium.  I can breathe a sigh of relief that now, I can afford my home, bills, and food with much less hardship. However my thoughts are still with those that are struggling.  I hope that all those who are wading through concrete with their current assessments get their due benefits without appeals etc.  Lets hope that this energy crisis/inflation gets sported out soon
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,353 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Emille said:
    Hi Hannah thanks for your reply and the offer of help - Good news, I have finally been accepted for PIP Benefit.  I have just received a nice big backdated payment from March and they gave me the low rate mobility of £64.00.  The ESA Review came through and they have added the Severe Disability Premium.
    Just incase other members read this, i see you said you were awarded standard mobility. You must have also been awarded the daily living part too because if you hadn't you wouldn't have qualified for SDP as that's part of the criteria.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Emille
    Options
    Thanks - I'm new to all this so I'm still learning what everything is.  I think you are definitely right there as I have quite a few OT daily living aids.  I am so used to using them I forget that they count.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,353 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Emille said:
    they gave me the low rate mobility of £64.00.
    Looking at the PIP rates that amount is not low mobility. The PIP rates are as follows...
    Daily living.. Standard... £68.10... Enhanced.. £101.75
    Mobility.. Standard £26.90.. Enhanced ...£71. 
    All rates are per week. PIP is paid 4 weekly in arrears.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.