Council Tax confusion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax confusion

bluefox Community member Posts: 621 Pioneering
Okay so I’m in a joint tenancy and claiming half the rent for my property because of my conditions and inability to work at present. 

But I haven’t been claiming council tax discount because it confuses me. We have one bill for the property. But how do you divide the payment?

My friend helps with my bills and working out how to pay them but I feel thick and want to be more independent. 

Is this normal to have one bill? Shouldn’t we both have our own separate bill?


  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    If there are two of you, you would typically divide the payment in half @bluefox (either the monthly bill or the final/annual bill). Hope this helps. Some people have one bill and send money to the other person/people to pay and other people have separate bills  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.