If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cost of Living Crisis - can not afford solicitor

Options
Emma52
Emma52 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
My dad died Dec 2022. His girlfriend wouldn't let me say goodbye to him before he passed and has not given me so much as a photo of him. She's kept the house he worked so hard on and paid for and gave his belongings to her children from her previous marriage. I was so embarrassed by what she had the vicar say about my Dad at the crematorium that I asked my carer to take me home before the outside bit. Her phone number and facebook page have disappeared and I have no way of visiting my dad's old home, let alone the strength. I can not afford a solicitor (cost of living) and am out on a limb here.

I feel she has done this because I am disabled and therefore not in a position to stand up for myself. I have nerve damage throughout my body now and both heart and kidney disease I had a heart attack and stents fitted last August.  

Has anyone else been in this or a similar situation and did you manage to get help from anywhere?

Please do not post this if you think it might upset anyone.

Comments

• SurvivorEmpowered
    SurvivorEmpowered Posts: 56 Connected
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @Emma52

Dear Emma52 I am so sorry for your loss. How are you baring up? I realise you may not be on line still as this was a while ago. I hope you are still a part of the scope community, even to read from me. That I care and feel your obvious grief of collective emotions. In a situation like this everyone has rights but our laws are clear. 

Firstly you could consider asking her if she has a copy of a legal will. If so ask to her to send you a copy.You would be in a better position to know where to go and your rights too. My suspicion you may be kept out of the family loop.

If there was a clear cut will I feel confident your fathers partner would let you know about it. Perhaps a relevant Charity may be able to help also. For example: Law Centre, Citizens advice Bureau.  Perhaps for your emotions CRUSE and even the Samaritans org our great as a sounding board they can help keep your mind focused and support the grieving process. Here anytime if you want to send a personal message as I too have had a personal loss recently. From SurvivorEmpowered. 
  • Emma52
    Emma52 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    I couldn't get through to CAB but I will wait 28 days to see if I get a copy of the will and take it from there. Thank you to all of you who have shown support. 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It sounds really difficult that you couldn't get through to CAB @Emma52. Have you managed to try outside of peak hours? They might be quieter and more able to answer, at least compared to peak hours.

Hopefully, you will get a copy of the will. Please do not hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you with this. We are all here for you and supporting you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.