Carers allowance question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance question

Options
JohnLFC
JohnLFC Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hi

I work self employed and received carers allowance while I receive UC, each April the payments stop and I must submit earnings information, this year I had spoken with UC who advised it could be easier to close down the carers allowance claim and request it from UC as they make deductions each month because I receive carers allowance payments.

I phone in just around 3 weeks ago to request the carers allowance claim is closed and I could ask UC to update my claim once this has been closed. I called carers allowance today and the claim has not yet been closed down, no payments are currently being received from them since early April, I explained that UC cannot update the my records until this has been closed on the system. The agent advised he will send the request again and note that I had already requested this was done and the date I had asked for this.

Can anyone offer any advise, if they have requested to close a claim how long this took to be processed?

Many Thanks

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It can take quite some time to close unfortunately, UC will backdate the extra amounts taken. Phone CA again next week and explain how it will affect your UC payments and they might just submit you an urgent request to close.
  • JohnLFC
    JohnLFC Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    I made my request on the 20th last month, had not been paid carers for a few weeks before this and when I phoned at first to ask why they advised there was no information why the payments stopped but generally each April the payments stop without warning but would send a request to find out why but then was advised it would be easier for me to manage the claim under UC rather than two separate claims.

I phoned today and told the advisor that I cannot update my UC until this is fully closed down, the agent advised he will follow it up with a urgent request but has no timeframes. I decided to ask here incase anyone else had experience of this and could advise their timeframe.

thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.