The swap to UC from ESA - does 2028/29 apply to me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The swap to UC from ESA - does 2028/29 apply to me?

Options
ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
ChrisSCOPEhtfc94 Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
Hello, this post is to do with the managed migration from income-related ESA to UC. I only get this along with Personal Independence Payment. I do not get any of the other legacy benefits with the income-related ESA. Does the date 2028/29 apply to me? 

If so, that would be great with it being years away - a bigger timeframe that is. I’d judge that as a wonderful thing.

Comments

• ChrisSCOPEhtfc94
    ChrisSCOPEhtfc94 Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I’m autistic so this isn’t the easiest thing to understand, I just want to know if the date 2028/29 applies  to me from the DWP’s timescales. I’m an income-related ESA only claimant, no other legacy benefit I claim with it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Under the current timeline you will be not be required to switch to UC under ‘Managed Management’ until the end of 2028. (It doesn’t know exactly what time period DWP expect to carry the transfer out.)
    You will still have to switch if something changes in your circumstances which requires a change under ‘natural migration’. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 437 Pioneering
    Options
    I don’t understand anything about universal credits except that I get scared like you about people saying we all swap to it one day and I don’t know how that all works. I’m on income related ESA the same as you and PIP. I wondered if I would suddenly be told to go on UC when I moved out of my care home to stay with my parents while I waited for my new care home but when my social worker phoned the benefits people to report the change they didn’t say anything about changing benefits. I get a bit panicky that when I move in to my new care home that is just being got ready for me, that maybe then the UC change will happen. I don’t know though exactly what sort of changes trigger it. Will it change how much money you are entitled to ChrisSCOPE? I don’t know what it affects. I don’t think it would actually make a difference to my finance, just the scariness of it being something different. In a care home you can only have PIP mobility and then from any other money you have you are only allowed to keep £28.25 per week. Everything else has to be paid towards your care. So I think nothing would change on UC for me. I don’t know though as no one has ever spoken to me about it, I just see people talking about it on here.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.