Esa and daughters benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa and daughters benefit

Options
sunflower2
sunflower2 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
Hi asking on behalf of a friend of my mom 

So my mom's friend gets income related ESA and is in the support group and she's only just found out that if anyone living with you gets benefits your supposed to tell ESA which she had no idea. 

Years ago when she wasn't in the support group her daughter was receiving income support for caring for her mom and she was getting it while they waited for a decision on her mom's pip assessment however she was not awarded pip and so the income support stopped she only got it for a few weeks. 

Today someone has told her then when her daughter was getting Income support she should have told ESA is this correct because I thought ESA don't care what non dependent children get only if you have a partner? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,645 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In this case the daughters Income Support claim will not have any bearing on the mothers ESA. 
    You are correct they would only need to know about a partner they maybe living with. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sunflower2
    Options
    In this case the daughters Income Support claim will not have any bearing on the mothers ESA. 
    You are correct they would only need to know about a partner they maybe living with. 

Thank you so much poppy I heard her talking to mom about it and didn't want to say anything before asking here first incase I was wrong. 

Even if she was in the support group I don't think it would have made a difference either I knew she was told wrong 
  • Mirela1
    Mirela1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi,I like to ask if I have ESA,  can I receive Severe Disability Premium benefit too?Thank you!
  • sunflower2
    Options
    Mirela1 said:
    Hi,I like to ask if I have ESA,  can I receive Severe Disability Premium benefit too?Thank you!
    You should ask on your own thread so more people will see it and help you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,645 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mirela1 said:
    You need to be claiming Income Related ESA as well as a qualifying disability benefit such as either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care, ADP daily living or be registered blind. 

You must also live alone or be treated as living alone and no one must be claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.