AI — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

AI

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,800 Disability Gamechanger
What is everyone's thoughts on the recent developments with AI?

Exciting? Or scary?

I have a few thoughts but am going to keep them to myself to start with to see where the discussion goes.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,443 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        No....just no .. Asimo freaked me out 🤨 this latest round of AI is beyond freaky 🥴
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,720 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Forty years ago people were saying that the advent of computers would lead to massive job losses, the truth was it didn't if anything it just lead to the way many people work.

As for AI I'm not sure, one thing I do know is that at my age I won't see most of the changes.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    i am worried about the growth of AI, i think it needs to be regulated, i may have watched to many movies were it turns bad, but theres a grain of truth to it
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,800 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I share some of the worries but I like a few things about it..

- You can make it work for free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and it has no rights.

- AI doctor or other educated professional... With humans, by the time they are ~65 and have done ~40 years in the job they are at their most knowledgeable and then go on to retire. Then a fresh one takes their place and has to start building up knowledge. With AI you can just take the "brain" out of the old one and put it in the new one.

- What about AI politicians? Humans are naturally poor at politics because we all have bias due to our upbringing, gender, age and a million other things. AI would just make the best decision based on facts, stats and logic, it has no emotion and no way of being swayed.
  • JudithL
    JudithL Community member Posts: 68 Connected
    Options
    It's worrying! Even with all Asimov's rules it got out of hand. I'm already annoyed that my devices try to think for me!
  • Squeakypips
    Squeakypips Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    I think criminals will be early adopters and do a lot of damage, whether they're state actors or mere individuals.
    EG Putin. we're told, is lying to his countryfolk. Think how much better he'll be able to do that.

I believe those who think there's something "special" about life, are mistaken. Any behaviour, like conscience, or morality , or signs of having a "soul" which are describable, can be programmed, or learned. The AI systems we have now show ethical behaviour, because they're programmed that way.  Even school Psychology has our behaviour and thought processes analysed and described pretty well - much better than many would imagine.

We are just a bunch of chemicals, which has reacted into structures ("living" things) which generate more of the same. It was really slow to evolve. Computers will go a lot faster - and make a lot of mistakes along the way. They will remember their mistakes,  forever and not repeat them.
    We'll have to be very careful what we allow to be connected to AI systems.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.