Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Volunteering on LCWRA

Options
jordiesteve
jordiesteve Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited May 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
I am currently receiving LCWRA I have an opportunity to do some voluntary work. Will my UC be affected?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,164 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @jordiesteve and a warm welcome to the community.
    There are no restrictions on volunteering while having LCWRA. However be aware that if the type of volunteering contradicts the reasons you are treated as having LCWRA that might work against you at reassessment and it would be important to explain how you are able to do your volunteer work (for example any adjustments you have in place).

What sort of volunteer work are you hoping to do? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jordiesteve
    Options
    Hi I'm hoping to volunteer for citizens advice, doing office work and advising clients, I was hoping that there would be some help for people trying to get back into work.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This would be things like reasonable adjustments @jordiesteve, as @Adrian_Scope outlined. In an ideal world, what would "help" look like for you?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jordiesteve
    Options
    Hi, help would mean not getting my money cut straight away, whilst I'm getting used to being in a working environment again after so long out of a normal world life routine. I know working as a volunteer on esa was allowed but I'm not sure what uc lcwra allow
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,551 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As Adrian has advised, there's no limits on how many hours you can work, whether this is voluntary or paid. You just need to be aware that working, even when voluntary may go against you at your next review if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you were found to have LCWRA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jordiesteve
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, it's for a mental health issue and thought with the new changes coming in, there might be a little bit of Leigh way for people trying to get back to work full time. Will they issue an assessment straight away if I volunteer 1 or 2 days a week? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,551 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're talking about the changes that were announced in the last budget then they are not expected to start for quite a few years yet.

I'm afraid i can't tell you whether the work you do with prompt a review. Lots of people work while claiming LCWRA without any issues.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jordiesteve
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the response, ideally it will be OK, if only for a few months till I get myself into a routine again.  It thanks again for the reply 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The routine sounds really important to you at the moment @jordiesteve. How are you feeling about everything?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jordiesteve
    Options
    Hi, yeah the position is very important to me. Sort of a life's calling type of vibe (I know that probably sounds a bit random lol)
    I have fortunately got a confirmation email that I've been accepted for the position, which will possibly start the 2nd week in June. I plan to use this timeframe to get my mindset a bit more focused on the positives and me looking a bit more healthier I.e. get out in the sun a bit more and continue with the workouts 🙂 but I have been overthinking, loads which hasn't been great for me but I'm getting a bit better at that lol.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's great news @jordiesteve :) Congratulations on the position! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.