Full time Work v ESA - new job offered ... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Full time Work v ESA - new job offered ...

Apollo14LMP Community member Posts: 61 Connected

I posted some time ago about moving to work from ESA. 

I have a number of health conditions and have been on ESA IR for some time. I get Enhanced PIP Mobility / Care 

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with the following -  

If I accept a Civil service post EO at present £25750 and a occupational pension of £3081.00 - what benefits would I still receive ?

PIP - should not change my post is hybrid generally working from home 40 / 60 % or I would not consider the post. I could not cope health wise with turning up somewhere everyday - PIP would be needed to support me with work. Reassessment is 2026.

Carers allowance - Wife is in receipt of CA for me would this change ? no source of income except her own full DLA High all components - no wage 

Of course ESA IR - Housing Benefit would cease.

Im not sure about daughters support from tax credits which is currently £55 a week she leaves college next year anyway.

Difficult one - once PIP see me in work will they consider my disabilities to have disappeared and start reassessing me ? anyone any experience there ???

Working would be challenging for me - just desperate to get out of this awful benefit system. I had loads of grief - compliance people hounding me over a pension of £55 quid that they take out of my ESA that I have always told them about.

For example despite the compliance interview months ago they still get my pension deduction wrong. I went into their office with my carer and the NEW pension statement in hand and a covering letter so they could not argue I had not sent them in again (lost in mail in past - liars) guess what they still made a mess of the deduction again ! ... incompetence again ..time and time again ... they aint been the same since I sued them in the county court to be fair. ...

So before I jump off the cliff as it were I would appreciate any input on what I might get I might even end up better off - but doubt that too much ... 

AS always thank you for any advice ... cant trust the DWP to answer questions ...  



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,829 Disability Gamechanger
    You're correct, your PIP and your wife's DLA will not be affected. Same for her Carers allowance.

    As you're claiming  Child Tax credits there may also be some entitlement to working tax credits, as you're also claiming PIP then you'll be entitled to the disabled element of WTC too. Whether there's actually any entitlement though i do not know. Tax credits isn't may strongest point with benefits knowledge, i must admit. You can use a benefits calculator and it will tell you if there's any entitlement. Once you start working you'll need to report the changes and they will recalculate your award based on your expected earnings.

    However, Tax credits are ending and you could be invited to apply for UC anytime from now up until about the end of 2024, i know invites for managed migration have started for some areas. If you don't apply for UC within the 3 months then your tax credits will just end.

    People do work and continue to claim PIP without any problems but if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP there could be problems at your next review.

    If you do decide to start working then i wish you all the best and all i can say is good on you, for taking the plunge and i really do hope it works out for you!!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • flour
    flour Community member Posts: 65 Courageous

    Congratulations on thew job offer! Something poppy hasn't mentioned is that there is a very simple tax credits calculator on gov https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator

    In effect, what you're doing is moving between the systems how they were designed before Universal Credit reform merged them both.

    The design in the 2000's was broadly that on ESA/JSA/IS you could work up to 16 hours per week, but from 16 hours per week you'd leave the DWP job centre benefits and move over to the tax credits system from HMRC.

    I had a go at the gov UK calculator for you and it came out as 

    Child Tax Credit

    £291.12 every four weeks towards your household costs

    Working Tax Credit

    £255.72 every four weeks towards your household costs

    £546.84 in total

    This is based on your household income of £29,716.00 (your salary + £3966 CA) and both being on ERDL PIP/ HRC DLA.

    In case you weren't aware tax credits is one single benefit with two parts to it. You can claim, one or the other or both and swap around in between. In your case as you have the child you can simply add the working on top. 

    Please have a go yourself in case I've missed anything on the calculator. But it looks like once your daughter has left you can still receive WTC of £255.72. 

    There should also be a rapid reclaim rule where you can reclaim ESA within 12 weeks of leaving in case your not up to working.

    I would give citizens advice a phone call to clarify things first.

    Remember that people come on to this forum who may be in a vulnerable state and kindness goes a long way. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • Apollo14LMP
    Apollo14LMP Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Thank you all so much for your support and advice  ..
    It means so much ...


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.