Prices — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prices

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,934 Disability Gamechanger
Sorry can't remember if this has been done before.

After reading some posts about the price of beer I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we can reminisce about what price things used to be and then moan about what it costs today. :D 

Yes I know inflation is a thing but it's just a bit of fun. :p

Mine to start us off... 

- Parents remember moaning about petrol going over £1/gallon.

- Remember single bags of crisps being 27p or something, recently saw them in a shop for over £1.

- One of my grandparents bought a 3 bed detached house in 1969 for £2,600.

- I have a bottle of decent Cognac in the cupboard which belonged to my Grandfather. From the label it is a 1970-1980s bottle. It still has the price on: £3.23. Today the same Cognac is £50.

Let's see what others have got. :p

Comments

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    When I passed my test in '85 a litre of petrol was .42 p 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When I was 13 I started work at a petrol station part time, petrol was 32p a gallon and my first pint in a pub was also 32p, I remember cigarettes being 3/6d for 30 that would have been 17.5p we all said we would give up if they hit £1 very few did.
    My first car cost me £35 a 1962 MK1 Cortina a years insurance cost less then the car, but keep in mind when I bought that car I was working full time for less than £40 a week.
    OUr first house in 1980 cost £11,000 but interest rates were very high and there were no fixed rate deals as there are today.

Prices are in the main all relevant if you consider that on NMW for 40 hours over 23 year olds earn around £22,000 a year now, what does most damage is inflation and I can remember when that was 26% so now it's 8.7% and my benefits went up 10.1% I'm not doing too badly.💲but am far from well off !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When freddo's were 5p!
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    Options
    When freddo's were 5p!
    My lord I remember that ... 50p pocket money used to go far

Thinking back ... when self service petrol used to take £1 notes into a slot.

Certain CB radio channels would interfere with the pumps and give you double.  Allegedly ... 

30p for a loaf of bread.  (Happy Shopper even less ... )
    18p a can of coke
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A bag of broken biscuits from the market and a Saturday morning at the pictures all for a shilling. Those were the days  :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,934 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine

Just under a week's wages for a car seems very reasonable! Unless you were earning great money? Was £40 a week a good salary back then? A very cheap used car thats not a scrap heap today is ~£1k, so equivalent of a ~£50k a year salary.

I must be getting old because I still consider £22k a half decent salary but as you say that's minimum wage these days.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang back in 1976 £40 a week was reasonable money for a 17 year old, but the car lasted me all of 7 weeks !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @WelshBlue I remember when 50p would get you so much too. When I was a kid and would visit my grandparents, they would give us £1 for the weekend and we'd get popcorn, sweets, pop...all sorts! Now I'd be happy if £1 got me a packet of Munchies  :D
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.