Carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance

sasmills Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My husband is disabled and receive DLA . I receive carers allowance, but the whole amount is deducted from my U credit. They give me a carer portion but that's half of what my carers allowance is. Why is my wage for being a carer so low? Why do they deduct all of it? It doesn't feel fair when they say it has increased but we don't get the benefit of it.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Carers allowance has always been deducted in full from certain benefits, it's exactly the same for Income Related ESA, JSA and Income Support.

    When claiming UC there's no financial gain to claim carers allowance at the same time. The only addition is you receive class 1 NI credits from CA but for UC you will only receive class 3.

    Carers allowance isn't really a wage. (earnings) It's a benefit and yes i know it's low but it wouldn't make a difference even if it was higher because it will still be deducted in full anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.