Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Benefit question

Options
System
System Posts: 118 Scope online community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Carers element.

Comments

• MasterOfBadDecisions
    MasterOfBadDecisions Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Could please someone help me understand the carers allowance?
    I am receiving PIP, and Lcwra. Mostly struggle with isolation, anxieties, depression etc. It affects how I look after myself, or don't - for weeks at a time, am afraid to cook anything in a shared kitchen as easily forget that food is cooking. Do not want to kill everyone in the house. Besides there are other things stopping me from even trying to find the motivation to open my eyes and what, get up and enjoy thid miserable day? Of course one day something simply mut be done, ie can no longer tolerate my own smell, or, i run out of those never ending obstacles and reasons to not go to shop, because hunger hurts more and is scarier than going out and showing face to the outside...
    Of course, i must be so wordy too. 
    The question- i do not have friends for years now, and the people that I know mostly work at t chemist, shop, surgery, UC ad so on. Don't really care for more.
    There is this neighbour, an older guy, who without anything of gain by doing so, keeps annoying the **** out of me be know Knockin on the door, bringing food, asking how I am, keeping me company on my rare trips to the outside and so on.
    To think of- this is what he is doing- caring for me, helping me, and no asking for anything in return.
    Finally I m at the actual question. Is there a way to perhaps make it official and compensate at least a little for doing this, to maybe help him a little as well? I an talking about that carers allowance, in case my wordiness and string of the subject makes it difficult for a possibly a more normal  person to understand what am I keep going on here... 
  • MasterOfBadDecisions
    MasterOfBadDecisions Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Sorry about errors. Typing on the phone falling victim to the frivolous use of autocorrect, another war I am fighting and losing.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,928 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Finally I m at the actual question. Is there a way to perhaps make it official and compensate at least a little for doing this, to maybe help him a little as well? I an talking about that carers allowance, in case my wordiness and string of the subject makes it difficult for a possibly a more normal  person to understand what am I keep going on here... 

For them to claim carers allowance for looking after you then they must be doing so for at least 35 hours per week. They also mustn't be earning anymore than £139/week. You must also be claiming daily living PIP.  https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Are they claiming any other benefits? Some benefits are affected by carers allowance. It's also a taxable benefit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You mention a 'younger guy'. If he is pension age and receiving State Pension he would not be paid Carers Allowance (although applying for it could increase benefit entitlement depending on his finances(.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.