Accessible but not "disabled" holidays? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessible but not "disabled" holidays?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,930 Disability Gamechanger
I have a relative who is immobile but is also extremely stubborn and refuses to use things like a walking stick or wheelchair as she doesn't want to "look old".

They can just about walk, more like shuffle forward, maybe 100 feet before needing a rest or someone's arm to hold on to.

They can't do steps or slopes.

My relative misses being able to travel but she would not want to go on a break aimed at disabled people. In her words she "doesn't want to go with a group of people in wheelchairs as it would make me feel like I am disabled myself".

So I guess what we are looking for is a holiday that is accessible but not actually aimed at disabled people.

Does such a thing exist? Does anyone have any idea of something that might be suitable?

Or does she just need to put her pride to one side and accept that she is becoming less able, and get a wheelchair or walking frame.

Thank you. :)

Comments

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Forgot to mention, the location isn't overly important. It just needs to be outside of the UK, and somewhere hot.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Forgot to mention, the location isn't overly important. It just needs to be outside of the UK, and somewhere hot.
    Well, there goes my suggestion then.  :D

Some of my older relatives regularly visited Warner Leisure resorts.  They're adult only and well catered for older people.  I think they're only in the UK though.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks for trying @OverlyAnxious

I did think of maybe a cruise, I may be stereotyping but I believe it is mostly older people that go on cruises so they should be set up around their needs?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Thanks for trying @OverlyAnxious

I did think of maybe a cruise, I may be stereotyping but I believe it is mostly older people that go on cruises so they should be set up around their needs?
    I do have one older relative that regularly went on cruises, but they had to stop about 10 years ago because of health issues.  I guess there are practical limitations for accessibility on a boat, even a large one.

Must admit, I can't think of much worse than being trapped on a boat out in the middle of the ocean.  Don't think I'd ever be able to relax in that situation!  :#

• 66Mustang
    Options
    That is a good point. Some cruise ships are huge, though, I wonder if there is such a thing as one with an elevator on board for passengers to get between floors!

I understand what you mean about being trapped... Some ships I believe stop at certain destinations along the way so you can get off and explore if you want to.

I thought it could perhaps be ideal for my relative, though, just the initial struggle of getting on board then let all the different views come to her instead of her going to them!
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One of my relatives is a regular cruiser @66Mustang, there are lifts on board most ships these days, as a lot of them are so large.

Cruises are generally quite accessible from what I've heard, and you have the option to explore different destinations or stay on board ship. A river cruise might be better for a view that is always interesting :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.