If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Incorrect assessor's report

Options
lauryloo
lauryloo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there,

I'm hoping you lovely people can help please.

I've requested assessor's report and based on that I believe I'll be awarded 8 daily living and 4 mobility. I feel I should have standard mobility.

I have bad anxiety, suffer from low mood and have OCD. I won't go places I don't know on my own and often won't go places I do know on my own if it's walking or in a car without a satnav. She made me pick how many "good and bad" days I had despite me saying it's hard to say. I said 3 or 4 and she made me pick one so I said 3. Obviously should have picked 4 as everything she wrote said my evidence was inconsistent as I have more good days than bad! For a start, I have OCD everyday and what's concerning is she said she was a nurse who'd worked with all my conditions 🙃

She also said because I have the cognitive ability to drive that I don't NEED my dossette box and so she wasn't awarding any points, despite me saying I have to have it else I forget if I've taken it or not!

I know it's just the report and the decision maker could award points but I'm not hopeful. I'm thinking it'll be mandatory reconsideration. Has anyone been successful at that point and avoided tribunal?

My CBT therapist has said she'll provide my questionaire that I do before each session that shows I'm having more "bad" days than "good". 

She's also disregarded my CBT therapist suspects ADHD (I think I did say this but I can't remember for sure 😅). She made comments how my pain isn't evidence as I have no diagnosed MSK conditions even though 1. You don't need diagnosis and 2. It's from my DIAGNOSED fibromyalgia. Same with breathlessness.

It was a telephone assesment and she said I didn't sound fatigued (I have fibromyalgia too), didn't seem anxious (even though I said how anxious I was and hadn't really slept that night, and she kept reassuring me, and said I didn't need prompting when she herself helped me answer the distance mobility question.

I'm so fed up of everything going against the fact someone can drive. The fact you can get a car on enhanced mobility clearly shows you can be disabled and drive... Also she was questioning how I look after my young child. This is not an assessment about how I care for my child, it is an assessment about how I care myself. It's ableist, patronising and unfair.

Sorry for the ramble. If anyone has any tips for the MR and/or success stories of MR and avoiding tribunal, I'd love to hear.

Thank you :)
Tagged:

Comments

• lauryloo
    Options
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

Lots of info onsite and friendly people.

Lots of assessments are 'flawed', by design, by incompetence etc. Put that aside.

When you do your MR, do it writing, give 'real world examples', try not to concentrate on the assessment report, but highlight errors with corrections. Use the DWP's form to carryout the MR. Make sure you get Proof of Postage. Remember 23% of MR's succeed, but 73% of Appeals succeed, so you might have to go the distance (distract yourself when you start thinking about your claim). 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration-pip/

• lauryloo
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

Lots of assessments are 'flawed', by design, by incompetence etc. Put that aside.

When you do your MR, do it writing, give 'real world examples', try not to concentrate on the assessment report, but highlight errors with corrections. Use the DWP's form to carryout the MR. Make sure you get Proof of Postage. Remember 23% of MR's succeed, but 73% of Appeals succeed, so you might have to the distance (distract yourself when you start thinking about your claim). 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration-pip/

Thank you so much. I'm wondering if I can call before it goes to a decision maker and ask if I can send in some further evidence as to how my anxiety affects me day to day and a letter from my CBT therapist? Would you happen to know at all please?
  • rebel11
    Options
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

When you do your MR, do it writing, give 'real world examples', try not to concentrate on the assessment report, but highlight errors with corrections. Use the DWP's form to carryout the MR. Make sure you get Proof of Postage. Remember 23% of MR's succeed, but 73% of Appeals succeed, so you might have to the distance (distract yourself when you start thinking about your claim). 

Thank you so much. I'm wondering if I can call before it goes to a decision maker and ask if I can send in some further evidence as to how my anxiety affects me day to day and a letter from my CBT therapist? Would you happen to know at all please?
    If you believe it will help your claim across the line, yes do it.   
  • lauryloo
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

I called them and she said to send it in ASAP and she'll make a note for the case manager that I'm sending something in.

I'm now just trying to work on a way to word how my anxiety affects me going out and on journeys etc and me being able to drive doesn't mean I do and doesn't change how my conditions affect me. Same for the fact I look after my Son. I've addressed this by saying I felt as though I was being judged as to whether or not I'm a good parent and that how I make sure my son is safe and cared for is irrelevant to whether my conditions affect me caring for myself 🙃
  • rebel11
    edited June 2023
    Options
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

I called them and she said to send it in ASAP and she'll make a note for the case manager that I'm sending something in.

I'm now just trying to work on a way to word how my anxiety affects me going out and on journeys etc and me being able to drive doesn't mean I do and doesn't change how my conditions affect me. Same for the fact I look after my Son. I've addressed this by saying I felt as though I was being judged as to whether or not I'm a good parent and that how I make sure my son is safe and cared for is irrelevant to whether my conditions affect me caring for myself 🙃
    With me, I think, o.k., I'm going out, I doing everything to prepare myself, prepare mentally, then, can't face the thought, I become anxious, fearful, then the head says, yes I will, no I won't etc, in the end I don't. 

I think what they are saying is driving, looking after your son, you have abilities to do things. Rather then saying 'judge', you could give an example, although I drive, I only drive very short distances and pull over if I feel anxious / sick, this happens etc. Only say this if it's true. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form-pip/13-going-out/    
  • lauryloo
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

With me, I think, o.k., I'm going out, I doing everything to prepare myself, prepare mentally, then, can't face the thought, I become anxious, fearful, then the head says, yes I will, no I won't etc, in the end I don't. 

I think what they are saying is driving, looking after your son, you have abilities to do things. Rather then saying 'judge', you could give an example, although I drive, I only drive very short distances and pull over if I feel anxious / sick, this happens etc. Only say this if it's true. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form-pip/13-going-out/    
    Thankyou :) I've written up my letter, uploaded it digitally and will also post tomorrow.

I really hate how they bring caring for your child into it - no one wants to sound like an incompetent parent. If the only thing I could do all day was look after him, that's all I'd do. If something took me 2 hours that took someone 2 minutes, I'd do it because he needs it - whether it left me in agonizing pain or not. That's why I feel it's not relevant; as a parent I'd find a way to do whatever he needed me to, you know?
  • rebel11
    Options
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

Thankyou :) I've written up my letter, uploaded it digitally and will also post tomorrow.

I really hate how they bring caring for your child into it - no one wants to sound like an incompetent parent. If the only thing I could do all day was look after him, that's all I'd do. If something took me 2 hours that took someone 2 minutes, I'd do it because he needs it - whether it left me in agonizing pain or not. That's why I feel it's not relevant; as a parent I'd find a way to do whatever he needed me to, you know?
    Yes, it's like when they ask 'can you read?' you say 'yes', then they can go on to write 'he reads'.  
  • lauryloo
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

Yes, it's like when they ask 'can you read?' you say 'yes', then they can go on to write 'he reads'.  
    Yes! It's like just because you can doesn't mean you should or don't have trouble doing so!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,122 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

Which is why you should never answer the questions with just a yes or no. The assessor said you can read, this is because you said "yes."
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebel11
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    lauryloo said:
    rebel11 said:
    Hi Lauryloo

Welcome to Scope

Which is why you should never answer the questions with just a yes or no. The assessor said you can read, this is because you said "yes."
    The thing is, a lot of people do, simply because on the face of it, it's a perfectly innocent question, they don't expect the Assessor to play 'jiggery-pokery' with furthering the dimensions of a Claimant's response.  
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.