Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

90 yr old has small private pension and high rate AA can she get any PENSION CREDIT

erm Community member Posts: 65 Courageous
Please if anyone can advise about this persons situation! She is in her 90s owns her home lives alone gets £192 state pension per week, is on high rate Attendance allowance has a private pension of around £200 per month she is poor sighted virtually blind in one eye, and can hardly hear, she has to pay for glasses and dentist, as doesn't get Pension credit, also no warm home discount, cold weather payment or cost of living payment. She gets council tax reduction. People keep telling her she should still be able to get extra help! Please advise if it is worth her ringing up pension credit to ask! She says the government years ago said because of the private pension she cannot access any other help but ends up worse off than her neighbours, most never worked or just part time, and all able to claim PC, so also get WHD CWP COLP , and get free dentist glasses etc. She has injections in her eyes and so constantly has to replace her glasses at hundreds £s a time. It just seems so unfair, she sits in a cold home while her neighbours have heating on, go on holidays, outings etc yet never worked like she did all her life, and sacrificed part of her wage for a PP as told she would be better off in old age which she now finds is the opposite. Would she be able to access any other benefit help? 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Because she lives alone and gets AA and provided no one receives Carers Allowance or the carer element of UC for being after her the calculation of Pension Credit would include a Severe Disability Addition. Based on the information you provided it looks likely that she could get a small amount of guarantee PC. Any PC would be worthwhile because of the ‘passported’ benefits you have referred to.

    You can can use a benefits calculation to check her figures.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.