Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Access to work garden office for self employed

Options
Redlima83
Redlima83 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2023 in Work and employment
I was wondering if anyone had experience with access to work as a self employed person? I’m self employed, work 20-30 hours a week from home but have nowhere I can use as an office. I’m either in then living room, desk and chair are really uncomfortable or in my bedroom with a screen mounted on the side of my wardrobe. As well as being diagnosed ADHD, also have fibromyalgia, and chronic back pain. 

I wondered if anyone has asked access to work for a garden office? From what I’m reading it wouldn’t be covered. Hubby works shifts, I have 1 child in school and 1 in nursery. I have constant noise and distractions around me when I’m trying to work which just hinders what I can do. 

I know it’s a long shot but just wondered if anyone has asked for this and succeeded or of anyone had ideas of what to do? 

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,928 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s very unlikely that access to work will help with this. 

A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is the only other thing that comes to mind but it’s unlikely you’ll get this either. https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants

The only other thing I can think of would be a loan related to your business. I’m no expert on this though so can’t give any advice in this area. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Redlima83

Welcome to the community! :) I hope you are well?

As Poppy has commented above, the Disabled Facilities Grant is what came to mind for me. I would also look at people who may be selling their garden offices. I saw a few on Facebook one week as many had built them during covid lockdown and then moved into office premises with their business growth. It may be more cost effective?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.