Hi, my name is yetiboo53! Struggling with cost of living. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is yetiboo53! Struggling with cost of living.

yetiboo53
yetiboo53 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2023 in Cost of living
My husband and I are just about hanging on for dear life. As soon as the money comes in it goes straight out on bills mortgage and food. The increase in the cost of food and energy prices has hit us hard. I don’t have a huge appetite and I am going through the menopause which helps keep the gas and food bills down but even so, we are struggling. Ian on contributed ESA and PIP. My husband works for the council. We don’t have a huge budget but we’ve been better off than a lot of people. We are now having to ask out parents for help and they are pensioners in their 80s and 90s.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,585 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @yetiboo53 welcome to the forum 
    It is a struggle with all the living costs lately. 
    Hopefully things start to get cheaper soon
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @yetiboo53 and welcome to our online community, thanks for telling us some of your story and I'm so sorry things are this hard right now. I know many on our community will be able to relate to the struggle you're going through.

I've just shared these links to some Scope advice pages with another member, and I hope they help:
    While, Scope also have a free Disability Energy Support service who might be able to help cut down costs a little further.

I've amended the title of your thread and moved it to our Cost of Living category - if you want to take a nosey in there, there is lots of advice during these difficult times.

Take care and wishing you all the best.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 356 Pioneering

Hello yetiboo53

I truly understand how challenging and stressful it is to navigate tough financial times. It's important to remember that you are not alone in this situation. Many individuals and households are facing similar struggles, where meeting basic financial needs has become a constant battle, and there's very little room to comfortably make ends meet.

Living on a tight budget with limited financial flexibility leaves little or no space for unexpected expenses, making it even harder to manage day-to-day expenses. It's disheartening to see that even after making sacrifices and stretching your income as far as possible, there is very little or no disposable income left at all.

I am so grateful  that my family are grown up, as it does alleviate some of the financial pressures. I have lived through recessions before with mortgage interest rates at 17%  although money was tight back then, we were still able to afford necessities like food and heating. 

Though it's hard to predict when exactly this cost of living crisis will end  it is important to hold onto the hope that change is coming, even if it's not visible at the moment. I understand how difficult it must be for you to ask for help from your parents, especially when they are pensioners. It is completely normal to feel a sense of unease about relying on them. However, it's important to keep in mind that parents always want to support and protect their children, even when they are adults.  

Take care MW123

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    We receive Pension Credit, a means tested benefit, from the DWP. This along with our pensions takes our income up to a level that they, DWP/government, say we need to be able to exist on.
    We have no problems in affording what we need and even manage to save something every month. We have always ensured that we never have borrowed money or used credit or any sort of credit card. So thankfully have never been in debt and don't owe anybody anything.
    Maybe your budget needs to be looked at again and make sure that you do not spend no more than the income you receive. 
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Thanks for sharing your own experience of managing costs @2oldcodgers, everyone's experiences are different, and I'm sure you can appreciate that there are many factors which can contribute to someone struggling with the cost of living at the moment.

I can see Cher has helpfully shared some budgeting tips and other useful resources with you @yetiboo53, how have things been this week? Please let us know if we can help further :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.