Issues with Scottish Power — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Issues with Scottish Power

Options
Chemist243
Chemist243 Scope Member Posts: 34 Connected
edited June 2023 in Cost of living
I received an E-mail from Scottish Power informing me that they were raising my direct debit by £72.35 to £193.25. I am £213 in credit and there was no right of reply. I have complained and now do not answer calls. I would advise people to avoid these charlatans who have been happy to sit on my savings. 
To add to my angst, the £213 that was there yesterday has disappeared but has not been returned to my account. No call or E-mail just appalling service. The anxiety this has caused with a worsening physical health condition demonstrates that they care little about their customers. Awful company.

Comments

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    a) Send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account. They will provide all the data over the last 6 years.

b) Lodge a formal complaint in writing, follow their complaints procedure, when you get a final response / deadlock letter, if you still aren't happy lodge a complaint with the Services Ombudsman.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

• Chemist243
    Options
    I have sent them a formal complaint and contacted the Ombudsman. I was told I have to wait until 9/8/23 before I could take it further. But it’s very worrying when this came out of the blue and when they refuse to communicate. 
    Thanks for your advice. If I wasn’t in credit then I wouldn’t mind. 
  • rebel11
    Options
    That's cool, you've got it in hand. Complain to the CEO if you need to. The energy sector is the 'Wild Wild West', energy companies basically do what they like.
  • Chemist243
    Options
    I think you have got it absolutely spot on. They behave like highway robbers. If the price cap reduces energy costs in the future, I suspect Scottish Power won’t be so quick to reduce my direct debit either.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So sorry you are having such trouble with them @Chemist243

I would also recommend reaching out to Scope's Disability Energy Support if you need any other advice or support :)  
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    I received an E-mail from Scottish Power informing me that they were raising my direct debit by £72.35 to £193.25. I am £213 in credit and there was no right of reply. I have complained and now do not answer calls. I would advise people to avoid these charlatans who have been happy to sit on my savings. 
    To add to my angst, the £213 that was there yesterday has disappeared but has not been returned to my account. No call or E-mail just appalling service. The anxiety this has caused with a worsening physical health condition demonstrates that they care little about their customers. Awful company.
    Back in the winter months I had a credit balance of over £700 in October. To make matters worse the direct debit that was in force more than covered my dual fuel account every month for 5 months thus adding the excess each month to my credit!
    I contacted EON who said that having a credit helps towards future bills throughout the rest of the year. They refused to repay any of the credit although last month they reduced the direct debit down to £189 a month. I am still increasing the credit balance that now stands at over £1000.
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 992 Scope online community team
    Options

Hello @Chemist243

We just want to let you know we’ve slightly tweaked the title of this thread to protect you from any claims of defamation. Please know, we fully appreciate your position, and in no way are attempting to dismiss your thoughts around this topic. 

For more information about why we edited the title, please consider our online community house rules.

All the best,

Cher

Online community team

• Chemist243
    Options
    You have  changed the title of this thread. What was the original  title that I used so that I do not commit the same mistake again. I have spent the whole weekend in turmoil because of Scottish Power.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Hello @Chemist243

I am so sorry I do not know what the original title was. Have you reached out to Scope's Disability Energy Support
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chemist243
    Options
    I haven't done that yet but may have been advised to do so. I will look into the matter. Scottish Power have made me lose my peace of mind.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Please keep us updated @Chemist243 and if you ever need to keep your mind off things for a bit, we play games over in the coffee lounge
    Hannah - She / Her

• rebel11
    Options
    'If they aren't playing ball' email the CEO. I know far too much about the energy sector.
    Got a ' C. date' with a dubious energy company shortly. In the past I've told OFGEM what they should do to monitor energy companies. 

When people go to the supermarket, they check their receipt, with energy bills they rely on the energy company to keep things in 'check'.    
  • rebel11
    Options

Hello @Chemist243

We just want to let you know we’ve slightly tweaked the title of this thread to protect you from any claims of defamation. Please know, we fully appreciate your position, and in no way are attempting to dismiss your thoughts around this topic. 

For more information about why we edited the title, please consider our online community house rules.

All the best,

Cher

Online community team

If it's true, you can't 'defame' an organisation etc. Especially if you have facts to back up the allegations. 
  • Chemist243
    Options
    Thank you for your insights. Appreciated.
  • Chemist243
    Options
    I greatly appreciate the help of the Disability Energy Advisor. I am certainly keeping my eye on my family's energy use and had a smart meter installed  yesterday. The electricity is being recorded alright but the gas recording has yet to show on the smart meter,
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @chemist243 Hopefully the gas reading has now shown on the meter? I'm so glad that the Disability Energy Advisor was able to help :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• rustledjimm
    rustledjimm Community member Posts: 91 Pioneering
    edited July 2023
    Options
    What I always greatly appreciate (please note the sarcasm) is how the warning they give for a big increase in your direct debit is merely the required 10 days.

I am sure they could very easily give more notice than that, especially when so many live payslip to payslip, but no, only the regulatory required minimum.
    ADHD and Crohn's Disease
    Aspiring to lot's of things but one step at a time, Crohn's sorted, sorting ADHD, then life to sort!
    Prefers they/them but am fine with he/him

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.