Esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa

Options
gerrys6
gerrys6 Community member Posts: 176 Courageous
Hi all I’m on legacy esa in support group and recently (last week) my tax credits for my daughter stopped as she no longer goes college so will I be forced onto universal credit now? And if so will i lose money ? At the moment I’m in limbo about what to do as my daughters not claiming benefits but I get pip paid to me for her ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is not a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC. Of course you will be worse off now because there's no Tax credits for your daughter.

Is your daughter currently working or planning on starting work?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    No she’s not she might take on a one day learning job and I meant will I be worse off if I’m moved to universal credit as my esa is a legacy benefit ? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    gerrys6 said:
    No she’s not she might take on a one day learning job and I meant will I be worse off if I’m moved to universal credit as my esa is a legacy benefit ? 

As she's no longer a full time student then she can claim UC in her own right. Being under 25 she will be entitled to £292.11/month. If her health condition limits her capability to work then she should report her health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that. She will need to continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on her work capability assessment. If found to have LCWRA then she'll be entitled to any extra £390.06/month from the 4th month of her claim.

Not everyone is worse off when claiming UC. If your ESA doesn't include the SDP then you'll likely be better off claiming UC. However, before making a claim for yourself you should use a benefits calculator.

As your daughter is no longer a student you need to report the changes to your local Authority.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    I do get sdp and no one is a carer for me. 
    I’m the mother in the house with twl of the adults that go to work different jobs different hours. So I’m thinking I’m on the most benefits I can get for myself so u c probably will not benefit me anymore . Plus I like the fortnightly money. 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    gerrys6 said:
    I do get sdp and no one is a carer for me. 
    I’m the mother in the house with twl of the adults that go to work different jobs different hours. So I’m thinking I’m on the most benefits I can get for myself so u c probably will not benefit me anymore . Plus I like the fortnightly money. 
    You can get paid fortnightly if you have problems managing money. 
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Do all the adults in your house claim a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care? or are they registered blind? If not then you shouldn't be claiming the SDP.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    one gets pip 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    gerrys6 said:
    one gets pip 
    That won't qualify you. It must be all the adults as i advised above. If they don't then you will need to ring ESA and tell them.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    It’s the enhanced I’m getting then my benefits were looked at again by esa when I last had my award looked at a couple of months ago. 
  • gerrys6
    Options
    so so what I mean by that is that if they looked at my benefits because my award changed they d have noticed if it was wrong wouldn’t they ? I can’t find my papers. 
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2023
    Options
    ESA Support Group (Income Related) without the SDP is £149.05/week (£298.10/fortnight) unless you either have deductions for something or you're claiming carers allowance. Is this what you receive?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.