Housing Benefit (Deposit help)

sstp400 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all,

about 4 months ago I moved in to a property and received help with my deposit from my local Jobcentre/DWP.

At the time I was in quite a bad place after recent breakup and just needed a roof over my head. 

Since then I’ve been accepted for a home that would allow me to have my son over as it has a second bedroom. 

Would the DWP help with a deposit for moving to a new home? Or would I need to repay my last loan before this would happen?

thanks in advance for taking the time to read.



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,276 Championing
    You mention housing benefit and then DWP. Housing benefit is claimed from your Local Authority and not from DWP. Are you claiming Universal Credit for help with the rent? If so and the loan you received was a budgeting advance then you'll need to repay that back before you can have another.

    You can apply for a discretionary housing payment for help with the deposit. You'll need to apply through your local Authority. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

    Do also be aware that if your new home is through social housing and you have a spare bedroom then the bedroom tax may apply to you. I don't know if having your son to stay sometimes would qualify you for an extra bedroom.