Council Tax Arrears — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax Arrears

Options
carolten
carolten Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello, I am asking this question for a friend they have council tax arrears and have had to complete an income and expenditure form does anyone know if pip is included on the form and disregarded or it is included as income. Thank You.

Comments

• jdug
    jdug Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    pip is disregarded, it is not an income it is regarded as necessary expense
  • carolten
    carolten Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Thank you I will let him know
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Sorry but I think you are wrong.

The council WILL include PIP as an income and you will have to show how you spend it on appropriate disability related costs. 

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    That's not quite correct @2oldcodgers, a council might ask what benefits you are in receipt of, but you do not have to prove that you spend it on 'appropriate disability costs'. There has never been an expectation or need for claimants to do that.

It's also worth bearing in mind the following, from Benefits and work:
    PIP does not count as taxable income, so it has no effect on the amount of tax you pay. In this regard, PIP is the same as DLA, which is also tax-free income.

Also, PIP, like DLA, is payable whether you are in or out of work and regardless of how many hours you work or how much you earn.
    And Gov.uk:
    PIP is tax free. The amount you get is not affected by your income or savings.

As others have mentioned @carolten, you can disregard PIP from income. 

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,934 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

The council WILL include PIP as an income and you will have to show how you spend it on appropriate disability related costs. 

That's very misleading information you've given here and isn't correct at all. You really do need to be careful with the advice you give.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In my opinion the PIP has to be declared as part of your income. Rules on whether or not the income is taxable or not relevant, otherwise people on means tested benefits only would be able to say they have no income.

Stepchange have a debt pro forma here
    https://www.stepchange.org/portals/0/assets/pdf/budget-planner.pdf

It think it is incorrect to ignore the PIP.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options

That's very misleading information you've given here and isn't correct at all. You really do need to be careful with the advice you give.

Apologies, i should have re-read the thread before commenting because my comment was based on CTR rather than arrears. Usually i'll read the whole thread before commenting and i don't know why i didn't this time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options

If that be the case then it isn't me that is wrong but the District Council's Council Tax dept.

I owed a small amount of CT due entirely to a change of circumstances and ended up quite incorrectly being charged CT for a 6 week period whilst everything was sorted out - the Pension Service suspended our award for that 6 week period then reinstated it. I was a little slow in notifying them (the Pension Service) of the change and they refused to backdate the Pension Credit award for those 6 weeks hence I was liable to CT for that period.
    Anyhow, I refused to pay that CT charge for those 6 weeks which landed me with a debt of just over £250. Eventually they wanted an income and expenses schedule on which I included my PIP (Enhanced Care & Mobility) along with my wife's AA (High Care - Day 7 Night) as income with corresponding  debits as to where the Care elements went.
    They told me that PIP & AA were to be treated as joint income.

So I had to pay them the £250+ in one hit as they dictated that we had sufficient income. 

• jdug
    Options
    Most, but not all, taxable state benefits should be included as social security income. PIP is not income. Council have made a mistake ( nothing new there ). Regardless, they should have at least agreed a repayment plan. You should contact Citizens Advice for help or at least clarity
  • calcotti
    edited June 2023
    Options

If that be the case then it isn't me that is wrong but the District Council's Council Tax dept.
    Poppy has already acknowledged that her post from as a response to a misreaded of the thread.
    poppy123456 said:. 
    Apologies, i should have re-read the thread before commenting because my comment was based on CTR rather than arrears. Usually i'll read the whole thread before commenting and i don't know why i didn't this time.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    jdug said:
    Most, but not all, taxable state benefits should be included as social security income. PIP is not income.
    I’m not clear why you say PIP is income.
  • jdug
    Options
    I'm not. I am trying to say the exact opposite. PIP is NOT income.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2023
    Options
    jdug said:
    I'm not. I am trying to say the exact opposite. PIP is NOT income.
    Typo in my post, I meant to say I’m not clear why you say PIP is not income (and what in what context).
  • jdug
    Options
    Apologies for not making myself clear.
    PIP ,IS, a type of income, as is any monies coming into your household whether that be earned, benefits, savings, investments etc. However PIP like some other benefits/allowances ( Child Benefit, Attendance Allowance and Bereavement Support )
    are disregarded and not treated as income for fiscal purposes. Effectively NOT income, for fiscal purposes. Again if unsure of any of this go to your local C.A.B 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    jdug said:
    PIP ,IS, a type of income, as is any monies coming into your household whether that be earned, benefits, savings, investments etc. However PIP like some other benefits/allowances ( Child Benefit, Attendance Allowance and Bereavement Support )
    are disregarded and not treated as income for fiscal purposes. Effectively NOT income, for fiscal purposes. Again if unsure of any of this go to your local C.A.B 

It's not counted as income for Council tax reduction but it's counted as income if you have arrears for CT, which is what this thread is about.
    They will look at all your income and expenses when arranging a payment plan to pay what you're owed. Council tax is one bill you should never avoid paying.
  • jdug
    Options
    PIP is awarded on the basis that it reflects additional support you require, for increased expenses associated with your needs. As a result, where and if PIP is included in your income, your creditors will usually allow the same amount to be reflected in your expenses, without breakdown. It's not counted as income for benefit arrears, tax arrears, for self-assessment, benefit claims, universal credit and more. The only benefits that can be reduced to pay arrears, including benefit arrears, are non disregarded benefits, which are mostly taxable. Councils dealing with tax arrears have no special rights to ignore the PIP disregard. Councils often have to be reminded of this.
    As you are getting conflicting advice I would again urge you to contact an accredited Advice organisation

• calcotti
    edited June 2023
    Options
    jdug said:
    PIP ,IS, a type of income, as is any monies coming into your household whether that be earned, benefits, savings, investments etc. However PIP like some other benefits/allowances ( Child Benefit, Attendance Allowance and Bereavement Support ) are disregarded and not treated as income for fiscal purposes. Effectively NOT income, for fiscal purposes. Again if unsure of any of this go to your local C.A.B 
    Not clear what you mean by ‘fiscal purposes’. Not a term I recognise from any regulations.  
    jdug said:….if PIP is included in your income, your creditors will usually allow the same amount to be reflected in your expenses, without breakdown. It's not counted as income for benefit arrears, tax arrears, for self-assessment, benefit claims, universal credit and more. The only benefits that can be reduced to pay arrears, including benefit arrears, are non disregarded benefits, which are mostly taxable. Councils dealing with tax arrears have no special rights to ignore the PIP disregard. Councils often have to be reminded of this.
    CT arrears are a debt, the recovery of debt is not, as part as I know, part of the regulations on Council Tax Reduction.

I agree that many creditors will offset PIP with an offset expenditure but I am not of anything that obliges them to do so so I don't know what these ‘special rights’ you refer to are.

Your reference of impact of PIP to other benefits, tax arrears etc is irrelevant to this thread which is about Council Tax arrears.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    jdug said:
    The only benefits that can be reduced to pay arrears, including benefit arrears, are non disregarded benefits, which are mostly taxable.

That's not correct. Income Related benefits (which aren't taxable) can also be reduced to pay 3rd party debt.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.