Pip and backpayment confusion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and backpayment confusion

nettyn0031
nettyn0031 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
Okay so phoned today cos I wanted some information on why it kept saying I wasn't entitled to pip on the motability site (it's cos it's not fully updated which is fine) but so far when I've phoned them for different things like change address and phone number I've asked if there was an update well the first one said it was still with case manager but asked me about holidays hospital stays and so on... second Said its still with case manager and said about a week or so... well today I've phoned for the above reason cos car less and in agony and not able to even do shopping atm... and the guy was amazing tbh helped me load he asked me about receiving a large payment and if I had any trouble handling money I explained my husbands here to be able to help me... now has any1 had this where they've been asked this question after phoning them and had payment with in the 3 to 5 days of them asking like when pip phone you ? Honestly I'm just getting frustrated atm and anxious because of all the hassle I've had to go through upto this point and I don't wanna get my hopes up and stuff xxxx hopefully this makes sense but I've just taken painkillers and Mt eyes are fuzzy 🤣🤣🤣

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,389 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t think anyone can predict when the payment will be made. Wait another week and if you haven’t received it then ring them again. 

Are you aware that when you order a new vehicle that it could be several months before you collect it? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nettyn0031
    I don’t think anyone can predict when the payment will be made. Wait another week and if you haven’t received it then ring them again. 

Are you aware that when you order a new vehicle that it could be several months before you collect it? 
    Yes sweet I've been down and of we get the planning permission the car we want we could have sooner rather than later it's littrally just waiting for the pip to update it on the system if you get me ?... the one we are looking at is elec and is the only one close enough for us to have sooner but atm I'm not bothered how long it takes so long as I know what the crack is 🤣🤣🤣 and in regards to payment I was just trying to rough guideline it cos I know from a few I've read here when they receive that phonecall about the larger payments it's usually been paid the same week or within the 5 working days 🤣🤣 I'm just getting my self in a cafuffle about everything to be honest cos nothing seems to be going right for me and honestly everything's just getting me down atm so trying to look for a brightside xxxxx
  • mistakes65
    mistakes65 Community member Posts: 105 Courageous
    Unfortunately it is a waiting game I’m in the same position and it wasn’t till I rang on Monday for a update that the lady I spoke to said that my security details had not been added eg had I been in hospital / abroad / care home and could I cope with getting a lump sum payment etc . But she told me nothing had happened with my award and there is a 28 day wait as in the DWP can ask to see the judgment papers from my tribunal etc .

I am the same anxiety through the roof with waiting and worrying 😔 after waiting over a year for my tribunal then waiting further so I fully understand how your feeling 
  • poppy123456
     But she told me nothing had happened with my award and there is a 28 day wait as in the DWP can ask to see the judgment papers from my tribunal etc .

I don't think that's correct at all. I've never heard of there being a 28 day wait. Some claimants receive money owed within a couple of weeks after the decision and others wait longer.

They sometimes request the statement of reasons and if they do, they need to do that within 1 month of the date of the decision. Once they receive it they need to find the error in law before they can proceed any further. They rarely appeal the decision but if they do they need to do that within 1 month of receiving the SOR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mistakes65
    That’s perhaps what she meant ( I’d worded it wrong perhaps ) but I was told by the tribunal service that DWP had 28 days to do what you explained in your comment that’s why I get confused because I’ve been told different things when I’ve rang DWP for progress .
    this is my 15th day now after my tribunal hearing .
  • dougie105
    dougie105 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Okay so phoned today cos I wanted some information on why it kept saying I wasn't entitled to pip on the motability site (it's cos it's not fully updated which is fine) but so far when I've phoned them for different things like change address and phone number I've asked if there was an update well the first one said it was still with case manager but asked me about holidays hospital stays and so on... second Said its still with case manager and said about a week or so... well today I've phoned for the above reason cos car less and in agony and not able to even do shopping atm... and the guy was amazing tbh helped me load he asked me about receiving a large payment and if I had any trouble handling money I explained my husbands here to be able to help me... now has any1 had this where they've been asked this question after phoning them and had payment with in the 3 to 5 days of them asking like when pip phone you ? Honestly I'm just getting frustrated atm and anxious because of all the hassle I've had to go through upto this point and I don't wanna get my hopes up and stuff xxxx hopefully this makes sense but I've just taken painkillers and Mt eyes are fuzzy 🤣🤣🤣
    Me and my partner are in the same boat, just waiting for dwp to update the system so we can get the ball rolling on getting a car, we was told by our local dealership there was a chance we could have a car that was in stock, but with every day it takes, the less chance the car will still be there. It’s been 3 wks since the tribunal, and I have called twice the dwp twice and got nothing from them either time, called on Monday to be told it was logged on the 1st June, that tells me nothing, never been asked the backpay questions either. 
    It’s all very frustrating. 
    How long have you been waiting?
  • nettyn0031
    dougie105 said:
    Me and my partner are in the same boat, just waiting for dwp to update the system so we can get the ball rolling on getting a car, we was told by our local dealership there was a chance we could have a car that was in stock, but with every day it takes, the less chance the car will still be there. It’s been 3 wks since the tribunal, and I have called twice the dwp twice and got nothing from them either time, called on Monday to be told it was logged on the 1st June, that tells me nothing, never been asked the backpay questions either. 
    Iv been waiting 3 weeks too 1 June aswell for me I've had to phone them a couple times for changes and just asked for updates on it up until yesterday I was told it was with the case manager yesterday they asked about handling a big payment over 1000 and then he said I should get notification by 1st week of July.... atm I'm just pre applying for motability on the site so that it saves time at the dealer ship and just keep refreshing the bit that tells me if I can get one or not till it shows yes 😅  xxxx
  • mistakes65
    that’s good to hear for you ! 
    Hope mine won’t be too much longer 🫤 had my tribunal June the 6th ( I know it’s only been a couple of weeks ) when I last rang the lady said it wasn’t being tasked yet but she took all the security details off me about holiday abroad / hospital / care home etc and if I would be ok with a lump sum so I just have to sit and wait which sends my anxiety through the roof 😐
  • dougie105
    dougie105 said:
    Iv been waiting 3 weeks too 1 June aswell for me I've had to phone them a couple times for changes and just asked for updates on it up until yesterday I was told it was with the case manager yesterday they asked about handling a big payment over 1000 and then he said I should get notification by 1st week of July.... atm I'm just pre applying for motability on the site so that it saves time at the dealer ship and just keep refreshing the bit that tells me if I can get one or not till it shows yes 😅  xxxx
    That’s what we have done too, we’re previous customer, so already had an account with motability. Motability have been a great help, they lifted the suspension, but we still have to wait till dwp update the mobility status. Think I might give them a ring today to see if I can get it moving, hopefully the will ask the questions. I thought my partners pay date might have something to do with it, as he had his tribunal on his pay date, meaning it will be exactly 4 wks on his next date, if that makes sense.
    Fingers crossed 🤞 what you was told was right or earlier, or earlier as the car AP change on 1st July. Xx
  • nettyn0031
    dougie105 said:
    dougie105 said:
    That’s what we have done too, we’re previous customer, so already had an account with motability. Motability have been a great help, they lifted the suspension, but we still have to wait till dwp update the mobility status. Think I might give them a ring today to see if I can get it moving, hopefully the will ask the questions. I thought my partners pay date might have something to do with it, as he had his tribunal on his pay date, meaning it will be exactly 4 wks on his next date, if that makes sense.
    Fingers crossed 🤞 what you was told was right or earlier, or earlier as the car AP change on 1st July. Xx
    I'm seriously hoping so too cos I've got so much to try and get done as best I can but can't do anything at all till the payments come through xxxx

• Baggie79
    Baggie79 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have a current problem that may have a simple answer so I am posting it in the backpayment thread as its about back payments. So basically  I have been receiving lower rate pip for an ongoing chronic condition since 2019, in October 2022 1 I had a near fatal car crash when a HGV hit my stationary car at full speed.

This accident caused me severe injuries that massively affect my day to day mobility. I called the DWP to ask for a reassesment due to my new medical changes. I was sent the form and filled it in and sent it straight back to them in October, following this I had a reassement in March this year where I received the full mobility award letter in May. Someone mentioned to me that I might be eligible for a back payment to the time I sent of the form in October which they received in October.

I have tried to go into as much detail above to hopefully get an answer. The question is should I get a lump back payment for the time between them receing my form in October 2022 and the award letter I received in April 2023?

Thanks in advance for any help it is greatly appreciated.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Baggie79 said:
    ..  I have been receiving lower rate pip for an ongoing chronic condition since 2019, in October 2022 1 I had a near fatal car crash when a HGV hit my stationary car at full speed.
    Someone mentioned to me that I might be eligible for a back payment to the time I sent of the form in October which they received in October.
    should I get a lump back payment for the time between them receing my form in October 2022 and the award letter I received in April 2023?
    A revised award should be backdated to the later of
    1) the date you reported the change in your circumstances, or
    2) three months from the change occurred
    If the change is due to the accident in October 2022 any revised award would be due from a date in January 2023. The arrears should have been paid from January to April when the new decision was made.
    When does the decision letter you received in April say the revised award starts from?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dougie105
    I honestly don’t know how people are getting those questions asked, every time I phone up I get fobbed off and told it’s with this team and that team and it was logged on this date, it’ll take 4 wks. It’s causing so much stress at home, my partner is convinced they’re gonna appeal it the decision. Arghhhhhhhh it’s killing me. 
  • mistakes65
    I’m the same as you Dougie ! Stressing and worrying they will appeal it and the waiting .
    I know it is correct the 4 weeks waiting or longer 
  • dougie105
    Omg it’s not the appeal that you need to prep for it’s the outcome, these last 3 wks have been far worse than the 6 months waiting for the appeal. It doesn’t help when everyone who seems to phone gets asked the backpay questions, and all I get is “hang on I’ll check, yes is with whoever, it takes 4wks” in the last 10 days, I’ve been told it’s with, a case manager, action team, & appeal team.  Next Wednesday is 4wks, I’m wondering what will I be fobbed off with next.
  • poppy123456
    dougie105 said:
    I honestly don’t know how people are getting those questions asked, every time I phone up I get fobbed off and told it’s with this team and that team and it was logged on this date, it’ll take 4 wks. It’s causing so much stress at home, my partner is convinced they’re gonna appeal it the decision. Arghhhhhhhh it’s killing me. 

People forget that when you ring PIP you're speaking to someone from a call centre. All they can do is read from a screen. It can take anything up to 8 weeks after a Tribunal win to receive the money that's owed and the same time to put your award into payment. In the meantime, unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do but wait. They very rarely appeal it so i wouldn't worry about that side of it.
  • mistakes65
    thank thank you for that poppy I didn’t realise it was a call Centure 🫤 how naive am I 😐😞
  • poppy123456
    thank thank you for that poppy I didn’t realise it was a call Centure 🫤 how naive am I 😐😞
    No problem. No, not at all, alot of people think that when you ring a DWP department that you're actually speaking to someone from DWP. They are all call centres. They have been known to give some appalling advice.

• mistakes65
    Now that you have said that it makes sense as when I have rang on different occasions I’ve been told different variations of the same subject I’ve asked about which then confuses you 🫤 because you don’t know what’s right and what isn’t !
  • Baggie79
    Baggie79 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    calcotti said:
    Baggie79 said:
    ..  I have been receiving lower rate pip for an ongoing chronic condition since 2019, in October 2022 1 I had a near fatal car crash when a HGV hit my stationary car at full speed.
    Someone mentioned to me that I might be eligible for a back payment to the time I sent of the form in October which they received in October.
    should I get a lump back payment for the time between them receing my form in October 2022 and the award letter I received in April 2023?
    A revised award should be backdated to the later of
    1) the date you reported the change in your circumstances, or
    2) three months from the change occurred
    If the change is due to the accident in October 2022 any revised award would be due from a date in January 2023. The arrears should have been paid from January to April when the new decision was made.
    When does the decision letter you received in April say the revised award starts from?
    The award letter states the award starts 25th April 2023 and ends 2rd April 2027. October 2022 was the date they confirmed they received my change of circumstances letter.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.