Hi, my name is Beam_Flower23! Being affected by discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Beam_Flower23! Being affected by discrimination

Options
Beam_Flower23
Beam_Flower23 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2023 in Work and employment
Hello,

I am exhausted from struggling to get support at work for my mental health. I am also being affected by discrimination, and I feel like giving up. Working helps me get out of the house, but when I face stress at work, it affects my personal life.
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Beam_Flower23 and thanks for reaching out, it sounds like you're going through a tough time at the minute.

I'm sorry to hear what's been happening at work, it's easy to understand that it's having a negative impact on your mental health. 

It would be helpful to know a bit more context, so can I ask if you've raised these issues with anyone at work, or if you have an HR department? 

Scope has some excellent advice on what to do when you face discrimination at work, and I'd also encourage you to contact ACAS for support.

Are you being supported outside of work with your mental health at the moment?

Let us know if we can help support you further, I've just moved your post over into our work & employment category, so it's easier for members to share their thoughts.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Beam_Flower23
    Beam_Flower23 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi Alex_Scope,

I had an Occupational Therapist meeting last year, and they recommended putting a 'reasonable adjustment' in place. I learned last week that none of the leadership team or HR had read the report, even though they initially referred me because of my absence levels. Recently, one of the line managers started to pressure me to do tasks that were clearly stated in the report for me to be exempt from. I asked them to set up a meeting where I reminded them of the information. Finally, they agreed to support me. But because of the ongoing pressure from my line manager, I feel it is discrimination, and it has affected my mental health to the point of dreading going to work every day. 

I feel the line manager discriminates and I fear she will find some other way to knock me down. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Beam_Flower23 thanks for explaining, that's very helpful to know. 

The fact they've agreed to support is positive, but if you're still facing negative attitudes then this needs to be addressed.

Do you have any complaint or grievance procedures where you work that you could talk about with HR? If your line manager is making you feel uncomfortable it's definitely worth raising with HR or a trusted colleague. 

If you feel you need to escalate things beyond your employers, I'd encourage you to contact ACAS for additional support.   
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.