50/50 Custody and transport to School — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

50/50 Custody and transport to School

Options
Chocolately
Chocolately Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2023 in Education
In September my daughter moves up to high school, I have 50/50 custody of her with her father we live about 20 mins from him and the school she's going to is 20 mins away from both of us. Due to her EHCP my ex has applied for her to get transport from his house and this has been agreed by the council (Hampshire County Council) 

I saw on the school website that they have a school bus from where I live to school so emailed the school to find out information about it. To my shock they have in formed me the cost is £1776 per year and I need to pay for her space not when she uses it, so I would be paying £150 per month regardless if she only uses it for half the days that month. I am currently unemployed and can't afford this. I contacted the council and they have advised me they will only provide the transport from one address. My only option in to apply for something called a 'privilege pass' however she can be taken off this at any point if another child requires it. 

I have been told the only reason they will provide transport from two addresses is if there is a court order in place. I can't believe in 2023 how little help and understanding there is for 50/50 custody when it seems to becoming more and more the norm. Has anyone managed to get transport from two different addresses?

Many thanks in advance! 
Tagged:

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,633 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I can understand it from their side.  The bus costs the same to run whether the seat is occupied or not.  Pricing will be calculated per seat.  They would have to pay the full amount for two different busses for a 50/50 split.

Looks like the privilege pass is your best option for now.  If it did come to having to pay, could her father split the cost with you so you're only paying half each?  I know it's still a lot of money but could be a slightly more manageable option.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.