Do I need to let UC know I've been awarded PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to let UC know I've been awarded PIP?

Options
Cadael15418
Cadael15418 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello today I was awarded pip via txt message I Applied for it in April 10th I think.do i tell universal credit that I have been awarded it because I am allready on LCWWRA much appreciated if someone could let me know.ive been on LCWWRA for three years and only found out in April I could apply for pip aswell.i never had to do journal and things in universal credit because of LCWWRA so I would like to know if I should put that in the journal or ring them or not thanks for your time.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can put a message onto your journal to tell them that you've been awarded and what your award is.

It will not change your UC unless you're claiming for help with the rent, privately renting and living alone. If you are and you're under 35 you will now be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance. (if you're PIP includes the daily living part)

Or you're claiming UC with a partner and your UC includes the daily living part. If it does and they look after you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim carers element of UC for looking after you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This will ensure that your benefit payments are adjusted accordingly.
    A PIP award doesn't always change a claimants UC entitlement, as i advised above.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cadael15418
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I am 38 and of no fixed abode I'm homeless basically and I've been on LCWWRA for three years before I was told I could apply for pip I don't know what to do shal I put it in the journal or not as I haven't put anything in there for a long time.and I've only had a message today saying I am being awarded pip aswell but it didn't say how much or what rate or anything it just said I would get a letter in the next two weeks explaining it I just don't want to get it all mixed up because I'm useless with computers.thsnk you for your time
  • Cadael15418
    Options
    And I'm single claimant also.thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Once you know what the award is you can put a message onto your journal but it won't affect your claim as it will remain as it is. PIP isn't mean tested and will be paid separately to your UC as a 4 weekly payment.
  • Cadael15418
    Options
    Thank you poppy 
  • meridianroar
    meridianroar Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    hey poppy, will it not also lift the benefit cap too? because ive been awaarded pip, the bedroom rate has changed but not the benefit cap? 

best 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    hey poppy, will it not also lift the benefit cap too? because ive been awaarded pip, the bedroom rate has changed but not the benefit cap? 

best 

You've posted on someone else's thread who may have completely different circumstances to you. The member that posted this had been found to have LCWRA for UC before they were awarded PIP so the benefit cap wouldn't apply to them even before the PIP award.

If you were previously affected by the benefit cap then this will be lifted now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.