Housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing

Options
shellbell20
shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
Just want some advice. I have moved home due to my neighbour attacking me, but where the Housing Association put me is very isolating, in the middle of nowhere and away from my family and friends. I am on the waiting list to be nearer to my family, but not in a priority category. However, I broke down the other day when speaking with my psychologist and told her how depressed I was being so isolated and how cut off I felt, not to mention the person above me is putting her music on most nights until 2 am. It has had a profound effect on my MH, and there is nowhere I can escape too. My psychologist told me she was going to write me a letter that I should take to the housing to say that I need a support network around me. Now I am not sure if I need to make a new claim to be put in a different category or if I need to start again. I am not even sure that the letter will change anything on medical grounds. Has anyone been through similar, and if so, could you possibly share what happened? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @shellbell20 and thanks for reaching out, things sound tough going right now!

It's positive to hear that your psychologist is so supportive, it is worth taking the letter to the housing association, as it shows your need has become more urgent.

You might want to have a look at Shelter, who have information on how to move up the housing waiting list. You shouldn't need to start again or make a new claim. 

I'll be checking in with you be email a little later today, so please let me know if you need a hand with anything.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Hello @shellbell20 and thanks for reaching out, things sound tough going right now!

It's positive to hear that your psychologist is so supportive, it is worth taking the letter to the housing association, as it shows your need has become more urgent.

You might want to have a look at Shelter, who have information on how to move up the housing waiting list. You shouldn't need to start again or make a new claim. 

I'll be checking in with you be email a little later today, so please let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Thanks for your quick reply. I did read on the Shelter website that if you have a letter from a doctor or psychologist etc, then it becomes a priority which is good to hear. However, when I was put on the waiting list initially they didnt take note of my MH and put me in a lower band and then sent me a letter saying I had a month to contest it, but I was busy moving at the time and didnt contest it in the time frame, thats why I feel unsure what my next step would be.  I just know I cant bear this isolated in the middle of the countryside with no family and friends around me.  I do need that support network. I feel a bit better though because my psychologist has intervened saying it is doing my MH no good. I feel there might be light at the end of this dark tunnel.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    We hope so too @shellbell20, let us know how things go. I'd say you are certainly entitled to ask for a review of your housing if it is having a negative impact on your mental health, which it is, as your psychologist agrees :) 
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• shellbell20
    edited July 2023
    Options
    We hope so too @shellbell20, let us know how things go. I'd say you are certainly entitled to ask for a review of your housing if it is having a negative impact on your mental health, which it is, as your psychologist agrees :) 
    Yes, it was her suggestion, I didn't even ask but I think she saw that I just had enough, probably when I cried the whole session, but that's how I felt, I felt helpless in a hopeless situation. Since speaking with her though, I think there might be some light. I will find out once I receive the letter and give it to the housing.  However, it shouldn't have to be a letter really, I am in receipt of PIP which I told them for my MH and I listed my disabilities including Menieres Disease, surely that should have been enough evidence? I just feel sorry for people who are in the same situation but don't have a psychologist that I am fortunate to have
  • Alex_Alumni
    edited July 2023
    Options
    We'll keep our fingers crossed for you @shellbell20 and I'm glad you've got good support around you. It is so difficult now with so many vital services are so stretched, but there's always light somewhere!

Don't worry if a few of your posts went missing by the way, they got stuck in our spam filter. I've sorted it now :) 
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're already on the housing list then you don't need to reapply. Just send the letter to them but there's no guarantee this will change your housing band.

As you're already living in social housing have you looked at a house exchange? When you agreed to the property did you realise the location at the time?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.