Housing Element and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Element and PIP

Options
cat6873
cat6873 Community member Posts: 66 Pioneering

Before I make a fool of myself at the jobcentre I thought I’d ask here for advice.

I get Universal Credit with LCWRA and I’ve got PIP back in 2018 (enhanced daily living and standard mobility) and my advisor said she’d put it in the system and I didn't ask why because, at the time, I thought nothing of it.

Forward to today, after I lived in this flat for 6 years and a half and religiously made up the rent shortfall (£75 per month), I read that my housing element should have gone up from the date they’ve received confirmation of my PIP entitlement.

Should I get in touch with them or am I wrong in thinking that? Confused...

Thank you for a reply!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether your housing element will increase will depend on your circumstances. If you're privately renting, Living alone and you're under 35 then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance, (LHA) instead of the shared rate. This is because you're claiming daily living PIP.

If you're living with a non dependant (not a partner) then because of your PIP there will be no non dependant deductions.

If you have a spare bedroom and you need regular overnight care you could claim for an extra bedroom.

If none of those apply then your PIP award will make no difference to your housing element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cat6873
    Options
    @poppy123456 thanks for that, nearly all of that applies to me but I wish I was under 35 again  :p 

• poppy123456
    Options
    Are you living with a none dependant? or you have a spare bedroom?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cat6873
    Options
    I live alone, rent privately and no spare bedroom  :(
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Oh ok, you said nearly all of that applies. This means you should be receiving the correct amount. Are you privately renting? If so you can check the LHA rate here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ it will be the weekly rate shown so you will need to work out the monthly rate. Times it by 52 and then divide by 12.

• cat6873
    Options
    I've done that but since the rates are still frozen nothing I can do about it and my landlord has increased the rent by £100 per month so I have to fork out the extra £75. The Mayor said he was going to do something about it but, somehow, I don't see it coming. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply @poppy123456 you're a gem!  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. I think the LHA rates not being increase for quite sometime is disgraceful. There's so many people now that have an even bigger shortfall of rent. Yet another reason for LL's not to want to rent to DSS tenants.

If you're experiencing financial difficulty you can apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP) you'll need to apply to your local Authority. It's not guarateed and if awarded it's only usually for a short period of time. You may also want to get some help filling out the forms because they are quite complex. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.