Any help with benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any help with benefits?

Options
Laura_c_8
Laura_c_8 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Goodmorning,
I don’t know how this works as I’ve just came across this site. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My situation was : working 11 hours a week, carer for partner who gets PiP, claimed housing benefit, child tax, council tax and child benefit. 
I have been signed off sick since early may , not entitled to ssp as don’t earn enough.
my now situation : claim NSESA £8.05 per week, child tax, child benefit, housing benefit. No longer get carers allowence due to claiming the ESA. 
Is there anything I can do to get financial help? I can’t live off what I’m receiving, I’m down my wages plus my carers allowence 😢 how can I lose £75 weekly because they have gave me £8.05 esa entitlement? 
I’m so confused !! 
Any help would be great . 
Thank you. 

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Laura_c_8

Welcome to the community! :) Have you tried putting everything through a benefits calculator? To see if there is any other benefit you may be entitled too? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Laura_c_8
    Options
    Hi @Hannah_Scope,
    I have looked at a calculator but I’ve no idea how to fill it in due to not knowing if I put in my wages which I’m not getting due to being off sick and I don’t know how to work out what money I will receive from esa now ? Surely that amount should go up if they have stopped my carers allowence? 
    It’s all very new and confusing, I’ve never claimed sickness or even been off sick in my 22 years of work life . 
    Thank you for your reply .😊
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    New style ESA is classed as an overlapping benefit with carers allowance and you can't be paid the full amount of both at the same time.

The only other benefit would be Universal Credit and if you claim this your tax credits will end. Housing benefit will continue for 2 weeks and then stop. You should use a benefits calculator to see if you'll be any better off. If you live with your partner you'll need to put both your details into it. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

You need to mkae sure you won't be worse off before you claim because once you submit that claim you can't go back to tax credits.

Your ESA and carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Although you say your ESA is only £8.05 I assume you are getting £84.80/week (but are no longer received Carers Allowance). 
    After a Work Capability Assessment if you are put in the Support Group your ESA will increase by 44.70/week from the 14th week.

You should confirm Tax Credits of your change in circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Laura_c_8
    Options
    Hi @calcotti,
    I was receiving £75 CA so was only entitled to £8.05 ESA but received a letter yesterday to say I’m no longer entitled to CA. 
    I’ve filled in and sent off a work assessment so hopefully hear back from them soon. 
    Tax credit have also sent me a letter with amended entitlement due to a change in circumstances yesterday too , do I still have to inform them? 
    I just wish I felt well enough to be working like normal.
    thank you .
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Laura_c_8 said:
    Hi @calcotti,
    I was receiving £75 CA so was only entitled to £8.05 ESA but received a letter yesterday to say I’m no longer entitled to CA. 
    I’ve filled in and sent off a work assessment so hopefully hear back from them soon. 
    Tax credit have also sent me a letter with amended entitlement due to a change in circumstances yesterday too , do I still have to inform them? 
    I just wish I felt well enough to be working like normal.
    thank you .
    If the CA (£76.75) is stopped, as it should see, then the ESA should be £84.80/week. 
    It can take a long time to have the WCA. 
    If Tax Credits have already into account the change then you should need to then (don't know they knew if you didn't tell them!).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Laura_c_8 It is all very confusing! Thankfully we have members like Poppy and Calcotti who I see have advised. I hope the community can be a support for you :) 

You mentioned being signed off sick, if you don't mind me asking, is everything going ok? Are you getting support from your GP?
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Laura_c_8
    Options
    Thank you @calcotti & @poppy123456 😊
    @Hannah_Scope the doctor I’ve seen this time has helped me get a diagnosis, I originally went over a year ago but wasn’t helped. 
    Currently receiving medication which is every 3 monthly injections for life (and other supplements) but my neurological symptoms don’t seem to be easing so I may have to speak to my doctor again to see if I can have the injections every other day until they ease. 
    Thank you for replying .

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad to hear you are getting the help this time :) I hope you are able to get in with your doctor soon to chat. Keeping everything crossed that having them more often will help 🤞
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.