Hi, my name is Bluebear11! joined for some advice re discretionary housing payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Bluebear11! joined for some advice re discretionary housing payments

Options
Bluebear11
Bluebear11 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I have just joined for some advice re discretionary housing payments and if anyone has been told to either move or use their PIP to pay the shortfall.  I am currently receiving cancer treatment for Myeloma and have osteoporosis of the spine resulting in a collapsed back of 15 vertebrae causing kyphosis of the spine.  I also had Sepsis last year which has delayed my recovery. My local council has paid it for the last 12 months but now they are refusing to pay anymore. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,685 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A DHP is exactly that "discretionary" so there's never any guarantee that you'll be awarded anything. If you are then it's only ever for a short period of time before you need to reapply. See link. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1080049/discretionary-housing-payments-guide.pdf The following was taken from that link.

When deciding how to treat income from disability-related benefits such as
    Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the Personal Independence Payment
    (PIP), LAs must have regard to the decision of the High Court in R v.
    Sandwell MBC, ex parte Hardy. This decision places an obligation on LAs to
    consider each DHP application on a case-by-case basis having regard to
    each component of the benefits in payment, the purpose of those disability
    related benefits and whether the money from those benefits has been
    committed to other liabilities associated with disability. See Annex C – Legal
    considerations for more information.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bluebear11
    Bluebear11 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Poppy I have already been through this and been sent it by the council.  Regardless whether or not it is discretionary I am unable to move house and now because they have left their response to me so late I am now in arrears.  I need my PIP for my health and wellbeing needs.  I did not deliberately put myself in this position and I have already referred to Item 10 in the ruling you have provided. It is really upsetting and stressful to be told I need to move house when I can hardly walk and my quality of life has been significantly reduced due to the cancer and my osteoporosis in the spine.  I don't even leave my house without a dosset box and a walking stick I take that many tablets just to be able to move about.  I don't find your response very helpful either. Sue
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sorry you didn't find my response helpful. Unfortunately, i can't please everyone! You can ask your local Authority to review that decision. Someone will then take another look and contact you once the decision is made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @bluebear11 Welcome to the community! :) 

I wanted to comment as I can see you have been through so much. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Can I ask, do you have support around you? 

It may be worth reaching out to your Local MP or attending one of their surgery days if able, incase there are any local charities or organisations that may be able to help you with the arrears. I would also encourage you to have a look at a benefits calculator, to see if there is anything else you can claim to help. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
     I don't find your response very helpful either. Sue
    Poppy has made an effort to try and assistance. She was posting information that  might help you. She obviously doesn't know what you already know nor what you have already done. There is no need to be rude to her.

Your situation is bad but unfortunately the local authority Is not obliged to provide another DHP. There is no right of appeal but you could, give you wish, write to them and ask them to review their decision (which perhaps you have already done).

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks Calcotti, I really appreciate that! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.