Can someone please help me out with this ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can someone please help me out with this ?

pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
I'm  a woman of 43 who is severely unwell with multiple auto immune diseases  and therefore have lived back with my parents(both pensioners) for a long time.
My brother has been living overseas for years and returned last year, we thought he was using our address as a 'paper address ' because he is basically living in 'works digs'. We have just found out he has applied for a mortgage and has been using my parents home as a 'residentiial  address'.  He earns nearly 100k annually. 

My parents and myself are extremely concerned this will affect our benefits due to him now being a non dependant even though he hasn't lived at our address for over 15 years.
We know council tax reduction can be affected,  but I am on contribution based esa and pip higher for both. I also get a income related esa top up ? Are any of my benefits at risk now ?
Am I right in understanding my parents state pension can be reduced too ? 

He has had no right to use our address but we don't want to get himin trouble.
  If he goes through with the mortgage whilst using our address as his main address, will the land registry notify the dwp ?
 His wife has some sort of benefit payment so the dwp will have track of everything and this could cost me and my parents dearly when we have done nothing wrong  ?
Would really appreciate any help.



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,618 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP and state pension won't be affected. Contributions based ESA won't be affected. Does your ESA include the SDP? If not then none of your ESA will be affected. If it does include the SDP then you may need to provide proof that he's not actually living with you.

    Do your parents claim for help with any rent? Do they claim pension credit? Any disability benefits?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pinkrose
    pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Thanks so much  for the reply poppy...judging by what you have said and I took some advice earlier today legally, then we should be fine.  Its been an  incredibly stressful  few days so thankyou for the reply.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.