Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Invitation to Help with Research on Eating and Drinking Sussex NHS
Testing out EDACS as a self-advocacy tool for adults with CP
Can you help us?
conducting a research study to see whether a rating scale for eating and
drinking ability, already being used with children, might be a useful tool for
adults with CP. The idea is for people to use it when talking to doctors,
speech and language therapists or care funders. If eating and drinking
difficulties are of a certain level, it can alert medical people to the need to
monitor chest health and nutrition. Likewise – it might help explain to social
or healthcare funding agencies why you need a certain level of funding for
support at mealtimes.
scale includes a description of what eating and drinking are like at each level,
using day-to-day language (the pictures above only contain the main strapline).
People have said that EDACS would help them explain to other people what they
are experiencing when eating and drinking– it would give them the words and the
language to talk about it.
to advocate for EDACS as a tool to be used by people with CP themselves (rather
than only being used by healthcare professionals) it will help if we can show
how reliable people’s ratings are.
That is why we are trying to contact people with CP – to see if they would be happy to rate themselves and ask a person who knows them really well to also rate them.
Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead
Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
- All Categories
- 13.2K Start here and say hello!
- 6.8K Coffee lounge
- 86 Games lounge
- 473 Cost of living
- 4.5K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 226 Community updates
- 9.5K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.6K Work and employment
- 797 Education
- 1.7K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 644 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 372 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 820 Transport and travel
- 31.5K Talk about money
- 4.5K Benefits and financial support
- 5.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.9K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 876 Chronic pain and pain management
- 178 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.3K Mental health and wellbeing
- 326 Sensory impairments
- 825 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions