Will my mum lose her house ….??? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my mum lose her house ….???

Options
Ali_lovesTheUK
Ali_lovesTheUK Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hello everyone . 
I’m desperate for some advice . Me and my partner want to get married next month . But I’m gravely concerned that cos I live in a council house with my mum who has cancer . That she may lose her council house if I give my notice of marriage to the register office . Also my partner rent he own flat by himself and when we married that where I would be living but my partner will still pay the rent . Can some please help and tell me where I may stand on all of this . Thanks all :) 
Mental Health Matters. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The question is who is named on the council tenancy for the council house you and your mum live in? it might not even be an issue if you have both lived their for the last 12 months, if in doubt ask CAB for advice.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ali_lovesTheUK
    Options
    woodbine said:
    The question is who is named on the council tenancy for the council house you and your mum live in? it might not even be an issue if you have both lived their for the last 12 months, if in doubt ask CAB for advice.
    My mum has her name on the tenancy agreement and I’m lost down as living with my mum as then same thing for my sister . Would this be an issue if I move out into my parents own flat  after the wedding next month ???????
    Mental Health Matters. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your mum will not lose her house if you moved out. Her name is on the tenancy agreement and not yours.

However, if she’s renting from social housing and you moving out means there will be a spare bedroom then she maybe affected by the bedroom tax, if she’s claiming for help with any rent. 

When you move in with your partner if you or your partner are claiming any benefits then these maybe affected. It will depend on your joint circumstances and which benefits (if any) either of you are claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ali_lovesTheUK
    Options
    Your mum will not lose her house if you moved out. Her name is on the tenancy agreement and not yours.

However, if she’s renting from social housing and you moving out means there will be a spare bedroom then she maybe affected by the bedroom tax, if she’s claiming for help with any rent. 

When you move in with your partner if you or your partner are claiming any benefits then these maybe affected. It will depend on your joint circumstances and which benefits (if any) either of you are claiming.
    That the other thing I meant to have said my mum on housing benefit via universal credit . Will this affect her house benefit and UC cos I don’t want  her to  lose this as she only been on this for 6 months . 
    Mental Health Matters. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Her rent be paid in with her Universal Credit known as housing element. She will only be claiming housing benefit if she's living in either supported or temporary housing.

You moving out will not mean she's no longer entitled to any help with the rent. Does she live in social housing or privately rented?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ali_lovesTheUK
    Options
    Her rent be paid in with her Universal Credit known as housing element. She will only be claiming housing benefit if she's living in either supported or temporary housing.

You moving out will not mean she's no longer entitled to any help with the rent. Does she live in social housing or privately rented?
    She lives in the council house as this was pass over to her when my dad pass away in 2018 . 
    Mental Health Matters. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That would be known as social housing. This means if you move out and she has a spare bedroom she'll be affected by the bedroom tax, which will reduce her housing element by 14% per week. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/how_to_deal_with_the_bedroom_tax

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    One option for your Mum would be downsizing.

That way she wouldn't have her UC Housing Element reduced as no spare bedroom. 

Councils often have incentive schemes and help available to facilitate this- my Mum downsized and received much financial and practical support.

I appreciate though that your Mum may not want to move, just throwing it out there as on option. Even if it's a no from her now, she may change her mind in the future. 
  • Ali_lovesTheUK
    Options
    Kimmy87 said:

Councils often have incentive schemes and help available to facilitate this- my Mum downsized and received much financial and practical support.

I appreciate though that your Mum may not want to move, just throwing it out there as on option. Even if it's a no from her now, she may change her mind in the future. 
    I’m sorry but she wants to stay where she is and moving would open up a huge amount of troubles and problems . And as she has cancer that the last thing I want to put my mum thought moving house when the house she currently lives in house that has  too many precious memories  . She been thought a lot with her cancer and the treatments for it . It not an option at all . Thank you for your comments . 
    Mental Health Matters. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis @Ali_lovesTheUK

If there is anything we in the community could do to help, please don't hesitate to reach out <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Kimmy87 said:

often not an option as smaller sized properties are in demand and low supply
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Kimmy87 said:

often not an option as smaller sized properties are in demand and low supply
    I'm very aware that social housing is in short supply overall, but where a bidding system exists those downsizing get some priority within the system. 
    Councils and HA's are desperate for family sized homes. 
    For example when Mum downsized she was automatically placed into the highest bidding band. Obviously varies from LA to LA but you get the idea. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.