ESA and Savings — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and Savings

Options
jamesnorman
jamesnorman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, anyone advise please?

I am on benifits, esa and pip, and because of this I cannot have more than £6000 savings in the bank.

I am soon to sell my house for £250,000 and it is going to take a few weeks to buy a new one.

Once I sell, the £250,000 would have to go into my bank account, even though it would be temporary until I buy a new property.

But this would take me over the £6000 limit for recieving esa.

Is the £250.000 in my account going to cause me problems or is it ok as it will only be in my accound a few weeks?

Has anyone been in this situation and could you advise please?
Thank you very much

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,555 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're planning on buying another property then the money can be disregarded for 6 months. (sometimes longer) You will need to report the changes once you sell your house and the money goes into your bank. It will then be a decision maker who will decide on the disregard. You will likely need proof that you're planning on buying another.

This only applies if any of your ESA is Income Related. For contributions based/News style savings are not relevant.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jamesnorman
    jamesnorman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, much appreciated 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.