Universal Credit and Housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and Housing

cwatson0000 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
Hi there, my local council have just placed me in a house share and it’s through the Rent Guarantee Scheme so I pay my rent to the council who then pay onwards to the private landlord. I’m confused because I get PIP and I get the 1 bedroom rate, and so because of the RGS the landlord gets that 1 bedroom rate which for my LHA is £792 and that’s what the rent is plus a service charge of £58 paid direct to the landlord. I understand that if you pay rent to a private landlord then it’s based on LHA, I’ve rented privately once before but I also know that when you pay directly to a council or housing association you’re meant to get your full housing paid as long as you don’t have spare bedrooms etc. what confuses me is if for example I didn’t get PIP anymore and I wasn’t entitled to the 1 bedroom rate , the shared room rate for my area is about £380 monthly so I wouldn’t be able to afford the £850 total with the rent and service charge, but because I pay my rent directly to the council would it change? The RGS is where the council find private landlords and then house people threatened with homelessness, but even though it’s a private landlord I still pay through the council so should I get my rent paid as full regardless or should I go by the LHA? 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.